View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #21
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Your 2019 setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Will, I like the x-treme bass because itís bold and solid. And itís super easy to tune with no funny business, nice and stable. Tonally better in each pipe than what it replaced.
Interesting. I might try and pick one up used perhaps.

I received my Breadalbane pipes this week and have a few reeds on hand that I've tried namely Redwoods, Ezees, Selbies. But I'd like to try some others. Probably just the bass though. Selbie and Ezee tenors are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
Yes, the G1 Bb reeds work just fine in my 40-year old McLeod Chanter. Depending on the ambient temperature, they'll pitch at 466 to 472 Hz.
I don't have any newer, higher-pitched chanters, so can't answer that.
I have a Bb, a 470ish Gael, and an McC2. I might take up this reed as an experiment up the line in pitch and find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army.Bagpiper View Post
Hi Will! The EzeeDrone Increased Absorption Inverted Bass reed is still very new, but it has locked seamlessly with the older regular EzeeDrone Tenors. I only had to calibrate it, a millimeter or so to open it up and it has sat still for the week or so I have been playing it. I am warming up to it. It took a little to get used to the new sound because I have been accustomed to the Henderson Deluxe Bass Drone Reed, which I have been using for two seasons now.
The Henderson Deluxe is a big reed though as I hear it. More toward the leaf blower end of things. Ezees in my experience tend to be mellow and smooth. I used the Inverted Ezee with my MacLellans to smooth down the intense bass those pipes have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army.Bagpiper View Post
The Tone protector has cut my "warm up" to practice time to a fraction of what it was, so now I can almost tune and get to the serious practicing and spend more time in working on my tunes, then waiting for the reeds to come to the point where I can tune them and expect them to hold for any given amount of time.
This is a strong endorsement. Maybe I will add this to my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
MG White Mamba drone reeds....👌
I was looking into these. Looks like the difference between them and the regular black MG reeds are the paddle shaped tenor tongues?