View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #46
Matt Buckley
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Who makes this reed?

When I first started competing more than 15 years ago, I used the concert Bb chanter that came with the concert Bb set made by Hamish Moore. I was marked down for having a "dull" "unpleasant" sound by one judge, and was advised to purchase entirely new drones. Next competition, in front of the same judge, I used a more modern pitched chanter, and the judge raved, pleased that I had upgraded my pipes. I couldn't help myself, and simply stated "same pipes, higher pitched chanter". Ended up the next year getting a 1st in piob. at Loon Mtn. from Scott MacAulay with the same drones previously deemed dull and unpleasant. Scott loved the drones, specifically asking who made them.

I've been out of the band competition scene for 7-8 years now, and out of the solo scene for over 10 years. Recently got my concert Bb chanter out. Ordered a Shepard concert Bb reed, and re-set the drone reeds to concert Bb. It's all sounding brilliant. What a lovely, deeper, wonderful sound. Too bad we've moved away from concert Bb.

Amazing how a relatively small change in pitch strikes some folks so dramatically different.

Last edited by Matt Buckley; 08-08-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote