View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 04:51 PM   #8
Bellows Blown
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Who makes this reed?

Thanks for the pm

Odd fellow this man

He only makes reeds for his son's band or if he knows you personally so not a businessman.

I spoke with a band player and he won't make off the shelf reeds and if you try to order a reed he will just direct you to McLaren. They are friends.

His boy has played the bag from 9 so he needed a reed that the boy could play so he went to plastic.

His reeds did well in the recent NZ championships and I am told 2 top grade pipers there use his reeds for social and commercial work. (heresay)

A local Sydney band used them in a local competition and did well against a higher grade band. (heresay)

They do not alter with moisture or temp and they last for a long time. (heresay)

That was his boy I spoke with at the NSW solo competition and he was placed in the finals. He is 13. Thats why mums the word.

One of the judges even made a direct comment to this boy on how good his chanter sounded. (heresay)

The reeds sound so good you cannot pick they are plastic. My ear and the judge results support this. The only clue is the most clear and clean back A. Apart from this they just sound like a great sounding reed.

He will not name the pipers using his reeds because they have asked him not to because of the number of pipers and judges that hate a reed just because it is plastic. Unless it is a drone plastic???? Bloody hypocrites.

The story is that he only makes reeds to the exact pitch and pressure needed and he has to have a chanter to make the reeds fit to get the result so they are only made to measure reeds.

Thats the story, thanks again for the pm.

All I have to do now is see if I can talk him into making me one.

Bellows rules.

BB
Bellows Blown is offline   Reply With Quote