View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 06:03 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: GDED gracenote timing in Donald MacLeod's reel: Roderick MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by teuchter46 View Post
Id have gone with something close to your second one (long-short-long-short) with the caveat that the fourth note should not be cut too much. The last low G is a big fat and note (linking note) to my eye and the D gracenote on it should have the effect of preventing you from cutting too much.

This is a good example of somewhere that the North American style of extremely small, tight gracenoting is unhelpful, to my mind.

I agree that the first three notes should be LSL, because that's the only reason you'd write GDE in the first place. The last note needs to be tight because if we're choosing to point the tune, well, that's how it needs to be there in a reel. I would actually be inclined to drop the D gracenote in this case, because I don't particularly believe in technique for its own sake, and the gracenote isn't adding anything to a short note. But if you keep it in, trying to throw a tight gracenote onto a very short low G is asking for trouble. Letting that D gracenote fatten up and bringing it down at the correct time gives you the means to swing through the low G effectively.

Lastly, I think all this is a red herring, because it seems to me that the tune is written to be played round; while it can be played either way, at the time this was written the round style of playing was having a moment both in performance and composition.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote