View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: GDED gracenote timing in Donald MacLeod's reel: Roderick MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by teuchter46 View Post
I’d have gone with something close to your second one (long-short-long-short) with the caveat that the fourth note should not be cut too much. The last low G is a big fat “and” note (linking note) to my eye and the D gracenote on it should have the effect of preventing you from cutting too much.
The big fat "and" note is kinda why I like version 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post
From all indications and as referenced in other threads, it seems your interpretations are as good and valid as any other.
Acknowledging of course, you've quite the skill.

So play on good sir - as the spirit and emotion drive you.

BTW, I enjoy your page and contributions to the community.
Gee golly, I'd hate to think of myself as any sort of authority. I know enough to know I don't know the answer to this question!

But, I concede, I certainly have no problems playing my own interpretations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
I agree that the first three notes should be LSL, because that's the only reason you'd write GDE in the first place. The last note needs to be tight because if we're choosing to point the tune, well, that's how it needs to be there in a reel. I would actually be inclined to drop the D gracenote in this case, because I don't particularly believe in technique for its own sake, and the gracenote isn't adding anything to a short note. But if you keep it in, trying to throw a tight gracenote onto a very short low G is asking for trouble. Letting that D gracenote fatten up and bringing it down at the correct time gives you the means to swing through the low G effectively.

Lastly, I think all this is a red herring, because it seems to me that the tune is written to be played round; while it can be played either way, at the time this was written the round style of playing was having a moment both in performance and composition.
I thought the same about removing the D gracenote on the G. I've got a student who I think this tune would be good for and removing the gracenote would be helpful, I think.

I'm not experienced enough to know how a judge of a Grade 3 competition would take the playing of a round reel, or playing a reel round. It's always interesting to see dot-cut and round indicated in the same tune, e.g. Dr. MacInnes' Fancy. I also don't think a reel like Roderick MacDonald would ever be played straight round, would it? Surely some pulse is implied, which would then bring us back to how to pulse the GDED.

Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 05-02-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote