View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #6
K Sanger
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: The Highland Pipe and Scottish Society, London, 1840s

Only just realised this thread is not referring to Donaldson's book. Well Glenurquhart not really my period, I do make the odd excursion this side of 1800 but mostly I work backwards from that date. It is possible to suggest some avenues for further research though, starting with the London Post Directories for that period. Societies usually have a secretary so he might show up with address.

One question that I can offer comments on are the references to Donald Ruadh MacCrimmon. The first being that every example of the families own signatures I have encountered always spells the name as MacCrummon and that includes Donald Ruadh himself.

The likelihood that he would have left any written music is practically zero. He would like his brother John have used canntaireachd for teaching and although he could certainly write, again it is not likely he would have written it down. There are in fact few contemporary references to him that even mention piping. All of his own letters are on military matters, starting with attempts to persuade the government to grant him his promotion to Captain that was in process when the war in America ended.

According to one long account by him along with three testimonials from his senior officers, as the senior subaltern when a Captain Stewart died in New York in October 1782, he was recommended for promotion. Unfortunately with the war ending and although his recommendation had been referred to the Inspector Generals Office it was not reported on due to the hurry of business preparatory to the Army leaving America. His further application was supported by a Major George Hanger Brit Legion, Lt Colonel Tarlton and Lord Cathcart.

He continued though to pursue some means of promotion after his return to Boreraig and with the start of the Napoleonic War. Probably the last when in 1802 he wrote to the Lord Lieutenant off Inverness-shire that he had even recruited 40 men and named the prospective junior officers and all he needed was a Captains commission along with commissions for the Lieutenant and ensign.

His last letter was written for him in 1822 when he was 83 years old, when he applied to be made one of the Poor Knights of Windsor, a sort of Chelsea Pensioners equivalent for officers. It was not granted and his signature by that time was very shaky and he died soon after. His testament is in the archives at Kew reference 11/1931.

Keith
K Sanger is offline   Reply With Quote