View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
CelticHiker
Forum Regular

Default Re: Too Large Pipes?

I'm glad you were able to find someone to help you with this, but I'm surprised it wasn't your instructor (assuming you have an instructor, but if not, now you know another reason why its a good idea to find one).

The bagpipe is not a one size fits all instrument and unless you get it setup for you, you will find you have issues just like you describe. As you learned, the distance between the drones and the blow pipe length are both important, but one thing that you didn't talk about is the bag size, and that can have a major effect on comfort and the ability to "reach the chanter". And trying to find the right size can be difficult as there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency in sizing between brands and different materials give a different feel to the bags. The best way I've found of trying a lot of different setups is to go to piping workshops and ask around to try to find someone with the brand and size of pipe bag you are interested in and then see if they will let you try it. You might also be able to do this with pipers in your area (if you are lucky enough to live in an area with lots of pipers).

Then you add in the different angles of stock that can be tweaked with the tying in process, and you quickly learn that you don't need to just live with an uncomfortable pipe once you know what your options are and how to go about making it fit you.
CelticHiker is offline   Reply With Quote