View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
donaldwglindsay
Forum Member

Default Re: Extend range pipes chanters.

Hi Tjones,

some of the guys on this forum are Beta testers for my chanter. They've currently got the version one, and will be receiving version two shortly.

I think the thing you'd find about my chanter, particularly the new version two, is that it's basically an "A" Smallpipes chanter, so most pipers can get going with it right away. The main focus of the new notes initially was to extend the range downwards to D, and add semitones (initially C natural & G sharp). I initially only took an interest in "B" in the second register proper since the range D to B is so central for so much traditional music - once the range is extended down to a low "E", then high "B" becomes available without any need for keys, as the register gap is already closed by that point. "High B" is played simply by removing the "High A" thumb on low E, which is intuitive enough that I've kind of started to think of it as a "first register" note, although of course it is in the second register.

The chanter's come a long way since the project began though, with more in terms of semitones than the border pipes, and greater access to the second register - notes above high B can be played using one of two techniques. The first is basically "shivering the back lil" as per the border pipes, and is the most accurate - it gives a clear & assertive tone, tunes the notes well to the drone, and with practice will take the chanter some way higher than the two octave D to D range I usually state for the chanter. There's also a second technique which allows a rounder, sweeter tone although only as far as High D, and a very slightly different playing style. I'm remaining focused on the two octaves D to D, however, as with practice the chanter will play within and around that range with all the facility that you'd expect within the standard nine note range.

If you're interested, I plan to shortly begin posting tutorials to Youtube, primarily for the benefit of those who are waiting on a version two chanter at the moment. To support the tutorials, I'll also be posting tunes - I'm planning to take it one note at a time, beginning with a tutorial on High B (and a tune that uses it), and then moving on to low F#, low E, low D, then the semitones after that, and then second register kung-fu. I recommend that pipers moving on to this chanter spend the first couple of weeks playing it as a "normal" A chanter, and then work on introducing the "new" notes one by one, so that's how the tutorials will be organised.

If you'd like to follow these videos, then you'll find them here :

@lindstruments

On twitter - where I'll also shortly be announcing the winner of a composition competition for the chanter, that ran over the course of the summer.
donaldwglindsay is offline   Reply With Quote