View Single Post
Old 11-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Kevin
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Extend range pipe chanters

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing more, maybe from the Beta testers. I was wondering if the chanter only works with the same make of pipes?
Hi,

Sorry to weigh in late on this. I was one of the beta testers for Donald's version 1.0 chanter. The folded bore and use of lower extension notes to fill the gap between the normal SSP range and the upper register notes is a brilliant idea and the chanter has been a lot of fun to play with. Donald and I had several interesting conversations about the design during the past year. The right thumb ergonomics were a bit tough to get used to in the beta version but Donald has managed to tweak the design to move the right thumb notes much closer to normal thumb position in the latest version.

I have not come anywhere near to using the full potential of this chanter yet but just having access to notes between low D and high B gives us access to a great many other-than-GHB tunes including a lot of Irish whistle/flute tunes etc.

The chanter should be playable with most SSP pipes as long as it can fit the chanter stock.

I hope this helps and I'll be happy to answer any specific questions if I can.

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote