Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-10-2009, 05:18 AM   #11
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Glen Bagpipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
Thanks for letting me know, I have no talent for this sort of thing. How can I paste the right link? The pictures are uploaded but I don't know how to do it right.

How about this link?

http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/a...en%20bagpipes/
Old 08-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #12
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Here are the links to another Glen set : ca. 1900 David Glen 3/4 size in cocuswood, ivory and nickel, stamped DAVID GLEN/EDINBURGH on the bass drone stock. Chanter unstamped but original to the set - I have other (stamped) David Glen chanters in the very same style.

Another, hopefully correct link to the Thomas Glen's (ca. 1850, cocuswood, ivory, silver slides, early J&R Glen chanter : see the post above)

Old 08-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #13
jsragman77
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Childs View Post
Are these Old Glens? They seem to have Glen Features.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t.../Old%20Drones/
Those cord guides seem a bit wide for D. Glen plus I think D. Glen typically combed so that seven teeth are sticking up - 26 tpi too. The ones in your photos look like six teeth are sticking up.

Mark
jsragman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #14
RakesOfMallow
Forum Regular

I have a set of David Glen and Sons in cocus, circa 1940. They are being worked on by Charley Kron at the moment, so these pictures were taken months ago.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...albumview=grid
RakesOfMallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:58 AM   #15
Glenurquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakesOfMallow View Post
I have a set of David Glen and Sons in cocus, circa 1940. They are being worked on by Charley Kron at the moment, so these pictures were taken months ago.

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...albumview=grid

Wonderful simplicity - it's great that the original chanter is still present. A lovely set, with lovely sapwood. Don't you think that these pipes should be a bit earlier than 1940? Btw, I don't know if that kind of hard rubber stuff for the mouthpiece was still being produced around WW2.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #16
RakesOfMallow
Forum Regular

I'm only going by what Kron told me. I hope they are earlier! I will gladly amend the vintage of this set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurquhart View Post
Wonderful simplicity - it's great that the original chanter is still present. A lovely set, with lovely sapwood. Don't you think that these pipes should be a bit earlier than 1940? Btw, I don't know if that kind of hard rubber stuff for the mouthpiece was still being produced around WW2.
RakesOfMallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #17
countrypiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think these are the accepted bore measurements for David Glen:

Bass stock length7.000Bass stock bore0.800Bass bottom length11.500Bass bottom bore0.372Bass mid overall length11.500Bass mid chamber length4.000Bass mid chamber bore0.700Bass mid small bore length7.770Bass mid small bore0.446Bass top - overall length11.625Bass top - chamber length4.000Bass top - chamber bore0.700Bass top - small bore lengthBass top - small boreBass bell depth1.000Bass bell width1.000Bass top - bushing0.622Tenor stock length5.250Tenor stock bore0.800Tenor bottom section9.000Tenor bottom bore0.348Tenor top - overal length8.125Tenor top - chamber length3.000Tenor top - chamber bore0.675Tenor top - small bore lengthTenor top - small boreTenor top - bell depth1.000Tenor top - bell width1.000Tenor top - bushing0.573

You may want to check your pipes against these measurements.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #18
jsragman77
Forum Clasp

Those measurements match pretty well to what I have for the earlier drones - no later than 1880.

Mark
jsragman77 is offline   Reply With Quote