Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 AM   #31
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

pancelticpiper
Default Re: Which "Clumsy Lover" version?

I heard Neil Dickie's own pipe band (Edmonton Pipe Band??) play Clumsy Lover in competition at Santa Rosa shortly after he composed it.

The version I learned, though, is the 4-part version recorded by the 78th Frasers in 1983. It's still my favourite version. I have the cassette tape (remember those things??) here in front of me. (The 3rd part is the Edre part, the 4th part is the syncopated High A part.)

A couple years after that I heard a Scottish Grade 4 or Grade 3 band (can't remember, this was back in the 80s) play a tune they called "Pastiche" which was, in effect, a simplified garbled version of The Clumsy Lover. It was horrid.

Then Clumsy Lover got taken up in the Traditional Irish Music session repertoire, where it became even more garbled. Thing about that repertoire is, everybody learns the session tunes by ear at the session, nobody ever sees sheet music, and oftentimes people aren't aware that a tune is recently composed (often assuming that the tunes are traditional).

So within a couple years of its composition I'm hearing it played in Irish sessions, the order of the parts all switched around, some parts missing, new parts which Neil hadn't written having appeared. When I told them that they were playing it wrong, that it had been written by a Canadian guy only a couple years before, they looked at me like I was crazy. In the Irish session world, the way a tune happens to be played at the session IS the "right" way, end of story.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 03-21-2012 at 04:38 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #32
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Patrick McLaurin is on a distinguished road

The jig version is on pipetunes.ca too. It isn't in the book iirc.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #33
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

bob864

I think I remember a few years back on Pipeline they had a recording from the Worlds (many years ago) of Mr. Dicke's composition in an early form. It wasn't yet called Clumsy Lover.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #34
Nintch
Forum Regular

Nintch

"Clumsy Lover" is one of the biggest "bagpipe hits" since Amazing Grace. It has literally gone all over the world - pipe bands, trad groups, punk groups... I have heard more than one Gaita band play it! The number of variations on a given tune are a testament to its strength. Just look at Cabar Feidh!
A pastiche is an imitation, and the tune "Pastiche" is a 2 parted pointed hornpipe imitation of "Clumsy Lover". We played it in the Manchester Pipe Band way back in the early 90's at the end of a medley. I had heard once that Neil Dickie had written it himself, but I don't know if that is true - perhaps somebody could clear that up?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #35
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

bob864

Quoting Neil Dickie

"When you are doing a lampoon or spoof it's okay. The infamous "Pastiche" was NOT a plagiarized Clumsy Lover. Anyone who knows what Pastiche means, will realize that it was Robert M's musical joke. (Turned out not to be a bad tune in its own right anyway )"

End quote

thread: http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...ad.php?t=92867

Worth reading the rest of his comments in that thread, since they relate to the issue directly.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #36
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Patrick McLaurin is on a distinguished road

Now all is made clear. It was intended as a musical joke, a hodge podge (Pastiche) of music.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #37
pipermacbear
Forum Clasp

pipermacbear
Send a message via Skype™ to pipermacbear

Yup, first time I heard the original was 78ths Live in Ireland.

In my mind nothing else stacks up.

Can call it "Clumsy Lover" if you wish, but I know better.

Heard a band warming up with it Saint Paddy's Parade on Sunday... Didn't like it so I walked away.

Freedom.
pipermacbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #38
pipermacbear
Forum Clasp

pipermacbear
Send a message via Skype™ to pipermacbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

Then Clumsy Lover got taken up in the Traditional Irish Music session repertoire, where it became even more garbled. Thing about that repertoire is, everybody learns the session tunes by ear at the session, nobody ever sees sheet music, and oftentimes people aren't aware that a tune is recently composed (often assuming that the tunes are traditional).
Bwahahaha! Too funny. Have to show this to my fiddler friends. Buncha hacks!
pipermacbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #39
Achilles Piper
Forum Regular

Achilles Piper is on a distinguished road

Sorry I missed this thread earlier - been away on a holiday. For me there is only one version of Clumsy Lover, and that is by the Headless Piper and Headless Drummer -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px0G3F7gj8Q

Johno and Andy were obviously having fun!!
Achilles Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #40
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Shawn Husk

We used to play the two parted version in my old band. We also called it "Whatever" has anyone else heard it called that or was that something our P/M just made up......?

Shawn

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote