Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
evan westlake
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

evan westlake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bore oil?

I am refreshing a set of Pettigrew pipes and it's been suggested that I treat the bores with bore oil.

Any suggestions on what bore oil to get? Are there significant differences, or should I just go to any instrument store and pick up a bottle or two of what's in stock?

Thanks - evan
evan westlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Shawn Husk
Default Re: Bore oil?

I would avoid the music store variety of bore oil as it's simply mineral oil and will only sit on the surface of the wood. You want an oil that will actually soak in and nourish the wood and the best oil out there for that is Bore Dr. bore oil. Others have used pure almond oil with a drop of vitamin E added as an antioxidant. I'm sure this would suit as well.

If the pipes are old and very dry please be cautious with how much oil you use. I would recommend a light oiling every week or so for a month and regular (IE. daily) short playing periods to introduce moisture slowly back into the wood. Short periods meaning about 10 minutes at a time every day slowly increasing the amount of playing time over the course of a few weeks.

Shawn

PS. Any sudden rapid change in the moisture level of the wood could cause cracks.

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Sean Becker
Forum Member

Sean Becker is an unknown quantity at this point

I use almond oil. It works great and its easy to get.
Sean Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
C. Martin
Forum Silver Medal

C. Martin

If you go to the Bore Doctor web page, you can get his bore oil at a reasonable price. I've also used a refined nut oil made for finishing wooden utensils and cutting boards. That comes in bulk at a cheaper rate. I think Ringo's or Chris Hamilton's sites used to talk about a similar product they used. Pretty sure I saw it on one of theirs...

Anyway, you don't need much if you are just going to swab the bores and outside. Buy a good product. There are a milion posts on this around here.

Chas.
C. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
trophi11

trophi11 is on a distinguished road

Almond oil or orange oil works great
trophi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Younglochinvar

Younglochinvar is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone wrote an article in the Piping Times many years ago about the merits of different oils for the pipes. An industrial chemist who was a piper said the best oil to use is paraffin oil as it dissolves and all other oil no matter how thin will leave a residue. I have three old sets and oil them twice a year with paraffin oil and clean the bores with a long tea pot spout brush before the oil dissolves. I also rub some over the outside of the wood. The oil can be purchased in a pharmacy shop.
Younglochinvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
Younglochinvar

Younglochinvar is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone wrote an article in the Piping Times many years ago about the merits of different oils for the pipes. An industrial chemist who was a piper said the best oil to use is paraffin oil as it dissolves and all other oil no matter how thin will leave a residue. I have three old sets and oil them twice a year with paraffin oil and clean the bores with a long tea pot spout brush before the oil dissolves. I also rub some over the outside of the wood. The oil can be purchased in a pharmacy shop.
Younglochinvar is offline   Reply With Quote