Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #21
Piper_06
Holy smoking keyboard!

Piper_06
Default Re: regarding Canning Drone Reeds

I just put a set of the poly's in Gibson's. They sound great. I also use a set in my Dunbar's and they also sound quite nice.

When the Ez's wear out, or I get tired of them in my second set of Gibson's they too will get Cannings.

Need I say any more?
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #22
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

el gaitero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenS View Post
While looking at Drone reeds I keep hearing Canning reeds come up. Seems they get very good reviews on the BD Site. I do have a couple of questions and I guess I could ask the maker, but Ive always gotten great insights from fellow members on the BD Message Board
So here goes.
The images show the reeds to look fairly beefy, at least to my eye. That said will these Reeds seat in my fairly new McCallum Drone seats without any reaming?
Ive heard the reeds are Plug and Play, has that been your experience?
I see the reeds are offered both with a carbon or poly carbon bass drone blade.... which to go with?
Is an inverted Bass drone reed offered?
And if you have a set what do you think overall?
You will definately not go wrong with a set of Ryan Canning reeds and McC pipes will accept them; I've been playing a non-carbon set for about 3 years; IMHO cane has no edge over them.
Candidly my only issue has been cold weather/outdoor playing, the body condensation absorbtion will definately tend to cut out very efficeiently set reeds. [ reed body swells/bridle gets too tight] ;
I've been toying with an idea to tape over the tongues and give them a light spray with waterproofing e.g. Scotch Guard [not to be confused with a Brigade of Guards unit of similar name, tho I've heard whiskey might ocassionaly be had therewithin] to see how that works out.
Ryan is often a willing participant on this forum...maybe he'll have a thought about this (..the spray) . I can think of a few reasons to not spray.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #23
BigDawg #504
Forum Member

BigDawg #504 is on a distinguished road

Just purchased a set of Canning reeds for my Gibsons yesterday. They sound awesome and I couldn't be happier with them! They were absolutely plug and play and I only had to make a minor adjustment to the bass. Thanks Ryan for your attention to detail and a great product and to Paul for recommending them in my Gibsons. What a difference.
BigDawg #504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #24
mmacleod75
Forum Member

mmacleod75 is on a distinguished road

I also have them in my Gibson's. The reeds that originally came with my pipes worked fine for me. But as a beginner, that was the only tone that I was used to hearing. After a few months, my one tenor started to make a buzz that I could not get rid of. I examined the reeds, and noticed one of the tongues had cracked. I considered replacing the tongues, but after reading some suggestions on here, I decided to try a set of Cannings for my Gibsons. A few very minor adjustments were all that were needed. I could not believe the difference in tone (even to my untrained ear). I've had them in for about 7 months, and still sound amazing.
mmacleod75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #25
Steve Anderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Steve Anderson
Send a message via MSN to Steve Anderson Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Anderson Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Anderson

Got in my set of Reeds from Ryan and am looking forward to popping them in to test. Friday will be the day of testing.

Thank you Ryan...

Stephen
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #26
Matt Weasner
Forum Clasp

Matt Weasner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Anderson View Post
Got in my set of Reeds from Ryan and am looking forward to popping them in to test. Friday will be the day of testing.

Thank you Ryan...

Stephen
What are they going into, Steve?

Have fun, at any rate!

Matt
Old 04-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #27
Steve Anderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Steve Anderson
Send a message via MSN to Steve Anderson Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Anderson Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Anderson

There are so many options. My 1908 Hendersons sound so stellar with Ezees that there is a very high bar.

I can't decide on the Thows, Hendersons, or antique D Glens. Who knows, they might bring the brand spanking new D Glens to full life.

Or, since I'm almost done with a set of homemade Cocobolo and also a set of blackwood pipes, I might try them in my own set.

You are correct... it will be fun!
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #28
Another Henderson
Forum Regular

Another Henderson is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to finish my experience, Ryan confirmed the issue I was having with bass, and not having any nose caps that fit properly in the the shop, replaced the reed.

Can't beat that with a stick.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #29
Hump
Forum Clasp

Hump

I had trouble with the playability of a Canning bass in one of my sets, so I emailed him about it for help setting up the reed. He asked me what pipes I was using, then he sent me another bass reed that worked perfectly in those pipes!!!! Absolutely amazing customer service!!!
Hump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #30
teuchter46
Forum Silver Medal

teuchter46 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a set of Cannings in my old Glens Steve and they sound great. Short blades tenors and regular bass, all polycarbonate blades. Quick to settlecdown too.
teuchter46 is offline   Reply With Quote