Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
red342
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

red342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chanter hole size.

Hello:

First off, I tried to post this in the instrument forum, but it would not let me for some reason have access.

A few years ago I had a Strathmore poly chanter and had no problems playing. Now on my new McCallum poly pipes I have trouble keeping a good seal on the the note holes. I have since sold the Strathmore and can not compare.

My question is, are there different size holes on different manufacturers chanters? I have small hands and am curious as well if there are any chanters that someone with small hands may have had more success with? Please help!! lol

Thank you!

Rob
red342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
William McKenzie
Forum Gold Medal

William McKenzie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by red342 View Post
Hello:

First off, I tried to post this in the instrument forum, but it would not let me for some reason have access.

A few years ago I had a Strathmore poly chanter and had no problems playing. Now on my new McCallum poly pipes I have trouble keeping a good seal on the the note holes. I have since sold the Strathmore and can not compare.

My question is, are there different size holes on different manufacturers chanters? I have small hands and am curious as well if there are any chanters that someone with small hands may have had more success with? Please help!! lol

Thank you!

Rob
Hi Rob,

This question is asked all the time, most recently just last month. Best to do 2 or 3 searches before starting any new threads.

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/....php?p=1186533 Here is a post specifically about AB chanters but the info in the thread will be the same for whichever material chanter you're after. Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

el gaitero
Default Re: Chanter hole size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red342 View Post
Hello:

Thank you!

Rob
the new AyrFire...its not ABW....but crackin'.

Last edited by el gaitero; 04-13-2012 at 06:16 AM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Rojellio

The Colin Kyo is the small handed, shorter finger spacing Chanter I am aware of as the go -to chanter for small hands.

Does this McCallum Chanter happen to have huge oval shaped holes??? If you managed to get one of those 'prescription strength' monsters... I understand where you might could have problems.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Shawn Husk

Yes the McCallum band chanter does have some rather large holes.

If you want a smaller hole spread Kyo and Kron Medalist are the way to go. I'm hearing the new Ayrfire is very comfortable as well but I have no personal experience with it.

Shawn

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Patrick McLaurin is on a distinguished road

Re: the AyrFire, it has a slightly longer stretch on B and low A than your smallest chanters (like Kyo) and they are slightly elongated. However, it is very comparable to the McC2 chanter with what appears to be only a slightly larger C-D hole gap on the AyrFire. Additionally the AyrFire has ever slightly smaller holes on the bottom hand.

My only complaint about the AyrFire is that it smells funny and whatever it is comes off the chanter and should you so happen to grab your mouthpiece, you taste it for the rest of the time you play.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

John Bolt is on a distinguished road

The chanter I got with my McCallums has huge holes and playing it as as newbie I had a lot of problems with birls other than the tap. I bought a Dunbar lower pitch with much smaller holes and it was a breeze to play. Having said having a few more months of practice the McCallum chanter is no problem either.

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
Kenny Macleod
Forum Regular

Kenny Macleod

Hi Guys,

I thought I would post again a reply I made about this subject about 18 months ago. I completely accept a few people may find our standard not to their taste and perhaps even slightly uncomfortable and thatís why we do a full range of hole sizes from round to slightly oval, to very oval. The very big oval is preferred really just by grade one bands and donít go out with pipes.

RED 342 if you drop me a quick message, we'll do a swap for a round holed chanter, free of charge. No problem with that at all.

A quick glance at the draw for Dumbarton, out of 20 novice juvenile bands 11 are playing the McCallums that have the oval holes.

All the best,

Kenny

Hi Guys,

I thought we should do an exact measure of a few of the new chanters that we have available in our factory and compare them to our own. The distances are the pitch between the holes, in other words the exact distances between the centres of the B and low A holes.

New Shepherd 33.38 mm

Naill band chanter 34.86 mm

Year old Sinclair 34.33 mm

McCallum C1 band chanter 34.30 mm

McC2 solo chanter 34.17 mm

So the distances weíre discussing from biggest spread to smallest is 1.48 mm.We donít have any of the other chanters here to measure.All of the above are very popular chanters that are played with virtually no problems at all levels.

We do make the chanter with pretty big oval holes, played mainly by grade one bands, but thatís what they want and itís a special order. They want control of tuning on each note, and when they buy other makes they do the job with a dremil where we do it on the milling machine in a more uniform manner.

All the best,

Kenny
Kenny Macleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
red342
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

red342 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all:

Thanks for the help so far,

Yes my chanter does have the bigger oval holes. Perhaps this is the problem. It seems most of my problems are actually on the E F high G high A notes more than the lower notes. This is a new problem for me so im not sure as to what is going on. My thought is that the new chanter is the only change since I played with out issues. Obviously it does not neccessarily mean it is the chanter. All in all, my reach SEEMS to be ok and not a problem, I could be wrong, but I do not feel like I am not reaching any notes at all. Any thoughts?

Kenny I PM'ed you so we can discuss your offer.

Thanks again all.

Rob

Last edited by red342; 04-14-2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added information
red342 is offline   Reply With Quote