Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Teacher's Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Teacher's Lounge Pedagogy - the art or profession of teaching

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Adam McBride
Forum Member

Adam McBride is on a distinguished road
Default Child learner

My grandson, 9, is working on his PC under my instruction. He is about average size, maybe a bit taller, than kids his age and he will not be 10 until September. I think he's doing pretty well, and he is very enthusiastic about playing the big pipes (unlike his father my son who had little interest.)

What has been the teachers' experience in introducing youngsters to the GHB? Do you use a smaller size of pipes for them? Or is it the same for everyone...a chanter and all drones plugged until they are ready to move up to one drone, etc, with all the difficulty and frustration that entails.

I don't think he will be ready for pipes until the summer or as he gets to 10 years of age in Sept. no rush, just thinking about how to proceed. Would you suggest a poly set as being lighter than ABW?

Thanks!
Adam McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Neil Clark
Forum Clasp

Neil Clark is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Neil Clark
Default Re: Child learner

Adam, firstly, a lot of poly sets AREN'T lighter then ABW, that stuff is heavy.
Personally, I'd just go with the bigger set. I was 10 when I eventually started on pipes, and I've never started any age of beginner on a smaller set. I have seen some pretty short blowsticks, but thats about the only concession.
Hope this is of use.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

David is on a distinguished road

I have seen some tiny lads in British Columbia compeating with full-sized pipes, and making a full-volume sound.

Full-silver might be a bit of a burden, if you were thinking of a generous gift. I don't like that weight on my shoulders and I'm a solid 180 cm.

My teacher's rule of thumb: if he is handling a normal size PC, then he can handle a set of full pipes. Finger spread is the only real issue. He'd probably be idea for a Ross extra-small bag, or something similar.

Sounds like a perfect age to learn!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
Adam Sanderson

Adam Sanderson is on a distinguished road

I'd say that a full set with a short blowstick and a small bag is the way to go. I have a few child pupils and the biggest obstacle they face is reaching up to pop the bass drone on and off. A young boy can handle the weight of a set of Naills well, and Naills are pretty hefty.
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
John MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

John MacDonald
Send a message via Yahoo to John MacDonald Send a message via Skype™ to John MacDonald

I personally believe that the Jump from PC to full size is perhaps a little much. In teaching both of my own children I moved them onto a 3/4 size set first and got them to blow one drone , then a second and third. When they were large enough -about 14 in both cases I moved them onto the full size pipes.

I don't believe there is a one size fits all for this particular situation, because there is only a limited usefulness for a 3/4 size set and as I happen to have had a 3/4 set already as a family heirloom i decided to utilise them.

clearly it is a compromise of strength ability size cost and also mixing in the possible feeling of achievment (or failure) that the child derives from getting to grips with a big instrument
Old 03-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Milly
Forum Regular

Milly is an unknown quantity at this point

I would echo Adam's comments. A short blowpipe and a small bag will do the trick.
Milly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
nzcolin
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

nzcolin is on a distinguished road

My 9 yr old has been on the chanter for just under a year,and has just started on full size pipes with a bit of tube round the blowstick and no mouth piece,All drones corked, just the chanter,9 he kept it going for 2 min yesterday,A very happy wee boy.
nzcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
the fishiologist
Forum Clasp

the fishiologist

Kid in the middle is about 9 or 10, I think. Full set.

the fishiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
TStephens
Forum Gold Medal

TStephens

I have started young children on both full size and 3/4 pipes with comparable success. I haven't figured out why, but 3/4 pipes are easier to play than full pipes. Same reeds, same chanter - but easier to play. But they key factors really are having a small bag, a shorter blowpipe, and setting the pipes up with very easy reeds at first.

I had a young girl as a student once. We had a fledgling group of mostly beginners playing at an event, and she was with us for her second performance with band, shortly after turning 8. She was adorable looking, and we had someone come up from behind her and put his ear next to her chanter. He stood up and turned to his companion with a look of surprise on his face and mouthed something like "She's really playing!" She did have a very, very easy reed, but she was on the full pipes, and she was playing just fine.
TStephens is offline   Reply With Quote