Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Jon Snow
Forum Gold Medal

Jon Snow
Default Cane drone reed weirdness

So I'm working on a new set of cane drone reeds (thanks Shawn!).

As sometimes happens, they don't want to sound right away. One in particular seems fine when I blow it by itself but shuts off immediately when it's in the drone.

Upon playing around with it a bit, it turns out that the reed is very sensitive to the position on the pin that the drone is tuning. I'm tuning high on the pin to match the chanter, and the drone shuts off. If I tune the drone low on the pin it plays just fine.

Can anybody explain what's going on with this? And is this another one of those things that I'm the last person to find out about?

Cheers,
-- Jon
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
ratherbpiping
Holy smoking keyboard!

ratherbpiping
Default Re: Cane drone reed weirdness

if I understand your question right

With a cane reed, you get your drone to tune higher on the pin by shortening the tongue, and it will also take less air, because it closes the tongue to the body. So by shortening the tongue you will have a greater tendency to shut off.

With most synthetics I have used, you can adjust your drone top hiegth buy adjusting a screw, which does not change the air dynamics therefore does not increase the tendency to cut out.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Shawn Husk

Sounds like a back pressure thing to me. Longer length less back pressure thus it shuts off, or more maybe IDK for sure, but that's the issue most likely. Spring the tongue more aggressively to get it going, it'll be fine. You just need to open the reed up more. As a side benefit opening up the reed will make it flatter thus you'll also tune lower on the pin to compensate.

Shawn

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
Jon Snow
Forum Gold Medal

Jon Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbpiping View Post
With a cane reed, you get your drone to tune higher on the pin by shortening the tongue, and it will also take less air, because it closes the tongue to the body. So by shortening the tongue you will have a greater tendency to shut off.
This is true, but not quite what I am saying.

I took a reed that felt about the right strength when I blew it by mouth. I put it in the drone, and it shuts off with almost no pressure.

Then I took a spare stock that I have, put the reed in the drone, put the stock on it, and blew through the bag end of the stock. At this point I am not trying to tune the drone to other drones or the chanter.

Then by changing the tuning position on the pin, I could dramatically change the amount of air pressure required to get the reed to shut off. With only a small amount of hemp showing (1/8" or so), the reed plays just fine. With a lot of hemp showing (maybe 3/4"), it shuts off with very little pressure.

-- Jon
Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Jon Snow
Forum Gold Medal

Jon Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Husk View Post
Sounds like a back pressure thing to me. Longer length less back pressure thus it shuts off, or more maybe IDK for sure, but that's the issue most likely. Spring the tongue more aggressively to get it going, it'll be fine. You just need to open the reed up more. As a side benefit opening up the reed will make it flatter thus you'll also tune lower on the pin to compensate.
Could be, but it seems to me that there must be more than just back pressure going on. Lengthening the bass drone by 1/2" is only a few percentage points, and I can't believe that it would make that big of a difference in terms of back pressure. I wonder if by changing the tuning position I am moving a node (or anti-node) inside the drone and causing this effect.

Anyway, this says to me that I may actually be over-springing the reed. I'm going to at least start paying more attention to the tuning position. I've already put as much hemp on the seat as I can get. I may try a piece of tape on the tongue to flatten it at least temporarily before doing any more springing.

-- Jon