Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
longwind
Forum Clasp

longwind is on a distinguished road
Default Any pointers while making my first pc?

Been making a bunch of stuff on the wood lathe. Got the center bore and exterior of my first practice chanter turned. Any pointers before I set out to drill the holes? I'm going by the chanter that I have which doesn't sound bad. It's a learning experience and kind of nifty. Doesn't look bad so far. Any secrets to improve the tone?

Last edited by longwind; 04-26-2012 at 04:26 PM.
longwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Ken Gordon
Forum Silver Medal

Ken Gordon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any pointers while making my first pc?

Make certain that the hole diameters and spacings are correct.

I made my PC out of ABW back in 1978 or so. I still have it. I copied the dimensions of a good-sounding Hardie that had been loaned to me.

My PC sounds quite good.

Choose your reed carefully.
Ken Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
FDpiper
Forum Regular

FDpiper

Pay attention to wall thickness as this will affect pitch. If you are copying a chanter you now use , be sure to tune it with the same reed. I would recommend trying a couple of maple versions first and then go for it with a good piece of tone-wood. I've made 20 or so, but it took a couple to get something I was really proud of. While you're working things out you can also be working towards your personal style so that the chanter is more uniquely yours.

Good Luck

Jeff
Old 04-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

TwitchyFingers

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I usually drill my tone holes before turning the chanter profile. The blank rests easier in the V-block that way.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Ken Gordon
Forum Silver Medal

Ken Gordon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I usually drill my tone holes before turning the chanter profile. The blank rests easier in the V-block that way.
That would work, as long as you know that the wall-thickness at each hole is critical, as is the distance from the center of each hole to both ends.

What I did, was to drill the length-wise hole in the square blank first, then use the ends of that to center the piece. I did not have a self-centering gun-barrel bit, so I "turned" the body around that hole.

I cannot now remember the exact sequence of steps, but it seems to me that I then laid out the positions of the various finger holes in relation to one another, leaving extra material at both ends.

Then, as you do, I drilled the finger holes. After that, I carefully turned the main part down so that the wall thicknesses at each hole were correct. I cannot remember for certain, but I believe I had a taper-attachment for the South Bend lathe I was using.

I then turned the upper end with its "knob", and adjusted the length from the reed socket to the first (hi-A) hole by milling off material from around the reed socket in small steps until hi-A was the correct pitch.

Lastly, after making the top and adding its imitation ivory ferrule, I adjusted the length (cut off or ground off) the bottom, from the bottom to the low-A hole so that it was neither flat nor sharp, but was in the proper pitch.

Then turned the bottom section so I could install an imitation ivory sole I had bought from some piping supply company.
Ken Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
FDpiper
Forum Regular

FDpiper

Drill you tone holes undersized. This will make them sound flat. You can install the reed and enlarge them incrementally untill you have the pitch you need.

Jeff
Old 05-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Robin Beck
Holy smoking keyboard!

Robin Beck

Best to practice on old table legs.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Seth
Forum Gold Medal

Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Beck View Post
Best to practice on old table legs.

I used to practice on cheap 1 1/4" Walnut or Cherry dowel rods many moons ago.
www.SethHamon.com
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Don Robertson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Don Robertson

Make sure your drills are really sharp.

Also, I can't imagine wall thickness making a difference with a practice chanter though. I could be wrong, it's just a thought.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
Smjprogrammer
Forum Regular

Smjprogrammer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
Gibson does the samething.
Smjprogrammer is offline   Reply With Quote