Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #21
JSadler
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

JSadler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Calories Burned Playing The Pipes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbpiping View Post
Sorry but,I don't think you have a convincing argument.
Its still a loss...so that's a plus on playing.
JSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #22
Bill Adam
Forum Clasp

Bill Adam

According to a calorie burn chart on one health site I burn 105 calories just standing for 1 hour. Playing guitar for an hour burns 281 calories. This is based on weighing 195 pounds.

Sorry, the only musical instrument they list is guitar.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #23
Kirby Allen
Holy smoking keyboard!

Kirby Allen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adam View Post
According to a calorie burn chart on one health site I burn 105 calories just standing for 1 hour. Playing guitar for an hour burns 281 calories. This is based on weighing 195 pounds.

Sorry, the only musical instrument they list is guitar.
Dang, 281 playing guitar, and guitar's not all that physical! ~250 for pipes doesn't seem unrealistic.

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/
Kirby Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
jd3214
Forum Silver Medal

jd3214

Most of my peers (including me) are only now thinking about this stuff as we age. I spent most of my piping life figuring out how to ruin my body not make it healthy. Most of those folks I know who are up there in years are probably there because of their piping. Nearly all the pipers I know who died of natural causes made it past 80. I am now 67 and when I had my first by-pass in 2001 I thought my piping career was over until I spoke with an old friend (who was quite overweight) and still P/M of a very competitive band who told me he had just completed his third open heart surgery and still spent his afternoons in the hot sun getting the band ready on the contest field. In those days only sissy's ran; one might kick the (fooot) ball around a bit but ... run??? Nay laddie.

The pipers exercises are: drinking ... Scotch/beer, carousing (after band practice or at the contest, nights sleeping at rest areas in the car on the way home from band practice or sleeping on the grass at Maxville; "inhaling" during the 60's; 2 pack a day tobacco habit for 40 years; chasing wild women until marrying one; then, getting home from practice or the contest in time for work on Monday. Some things to watch out for healthwise are: A friend who was a Pathologist theorized that pipers get Cancer deeper than others because of the years of developing strong breathing techniques. Focal Dystonia (look it up you folks who perspire...it could be in your future).

The benefits are: a definite high when playing in unison and blowing tone; a certain kind of meditation like state when playing at home in your garage. Brain stimulation. A HUGE neck size if you started when you were ten or younger; padded muscles in your shoulder on the bass drone side; finger strength that allows you to do push-ups on the tip of your fingers. Women thinking your cute (when properly dressed) even when you are really as ugly as sin. A lot of friends who drink! A VERY few friends who do not.
jd3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
longwind
Forum Clasp

longwind is on a distinguished road

I don't know about burning calories but it's a piper's life for me. I had quite a few Scotches and great draft beers while piping. Got to love Haggis! Bridies, mince pies, Scotts eggs, fish n' chips and all the rest are not diet friendly.