Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Competing Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competing Pipers Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Johnniez
Forum Gold Medal

Johnniez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ontario Solo Piping Competition

So enlighten us.. How do you do? Any comments from judge?

Yes your right every time you do it the next time will be easier to adjust.

Johnnie
Johnniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
KiltSwinger
Forum Silver Medal

KiltSwinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Andrews View Post
Thanks! Almost got through the whole tune!!! Was defiantly just as nerve racking as I anticipated it to be. Things will only start to get easier from here!
Ya done good! I was on the corner of the red couch behind you

Personally, I find the Indoors the most difficult. I can barely manage Toronto Indoors and won't even attempt the Hamilton series.

If it's any consolation, I have debilitating nerves as well. But each year, I start the season a wee bit better than I finished the prior season.

See you on the (outdoor) circuit!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:44 AM   #13
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Randy McIntosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltSwinger View Post
Personally, I find the Indoors the most difficult.
Nothing like playing for a room full of pipers!! Outdoors is not the same dynamic at all.....still not easy to do but at least your not "performing" for a room full of pipers or should I say "expert judges"
Old 05-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
keydetpiper
Forum Clasp

keydetpiper

Marching may not be required in the PPBSO, but in many places it is. You can expect to be disqualified for remaining stationary in any march competition in the EUSPBA, excluding physical reasons of course. I think it's a good idea to get used to marching while playing a march, and I find it really helps with developing the swing of a march. Be relaxed and walk comfortably, and let the music flow with your stride.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Tripp
Holy smoking keyboard!

Tripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by keydetpiper View Post
You can expect to be disqualified for remaining stationary in any march competition in the EUSPBA, excluding physical reasons of course. I think it's a good idea to get used to marching while playing a march, and I find it really helps with developing the swing of a march. Be relaxed and walk comfortably, and let the music flow with your stride.
Yup. It's the same in WUSPBA. I actually had to play the physical reason card earlier this year because I had blown out my ACL and was wearing a brace on my right kneed. It's set back my preparation for the summer somewhat I've just now starting walking normally again and can't really play that card anymore.

But like keydetpiper says, once you have the measure of it, marching can be quite helpful in terms of tempo control and expression. For the first while though, it can be a real challenge. As if you don't already have enough task to juggle whilst playing the pipes. However, just like everything else, with practice you'll master it (I defo haven't yet, but each year it gets easier to do).

Denver Bagpipe Lessons Skype Bagpipe Lessons
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
Miss_Andrews
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Miss_Andrews is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniez View Post
So enlighten us.. How do you do? Any comments from judge?

Yes your right every time you do it the next time will be easier to adjust.

Johnnie
Placed 5th out of 6th...

Judges comments - (Lynda Mackay)
"A good tune overall Alison. Lots of potential. Main thing to work on would be avoiding crossing sounds from E to D. I would suggest trying to pull your bottom hand fingers back a lot to make the finger work lighter and easier.

Unfortunate stumble at the end. Minor breathing trouble. Keep working at it. Good job!"

Fortunately I just spent the weekend in NYC at an SFU workshop and one of the pipers (Will Nichol's) set up my drones so that they take less air - therefore much easier to play!
Miss_Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote