Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors
View Poll Results: To you as a piper, what is music?
Any arrangement of notes-no matter what they are 2 2.82%
Melodies and rhythms that sound pleasant to me 31 43.66%
Sounds that are in 'unison'-together in pitch/rhythm 12 16.90%
Sounds that paint a picture 18 25.35%
Sounds that tell a story 15 21.13%
Something that makes me think 9 12.68%
A mix of the concordant and discordant 5 7.04%
All of the above 25 35.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #21
Charlie Rutan

Default Re: Music and Piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnfocusNtuned View Post
There are composers, especially mid 20th century modern composers, that intentionally use discord for supposed musical expression and to create a certain mood;
well what happened with the post 2nd vienna school serialists & later experimentalists was that;

composers began composing only to impress other composers;

"Oh, look at this series , see ive applied it in mensural retrograde inversion to the rhythm, etc". Stuff like thats very impressive to another composer. It took a very long time for sheer emotional appeal to surpass intellectualism; meanwhile, the rise of the media brought instant musical gratification.

Pipers & pipebands have been creating mostly for each other, for a long time. I think these days, theres a lot more good, dedicated pipers with a wide enough lens to realize fully the implications of insular creativity, and act accordingly for the core and its fringes to thrive.

Last edited by Charlie Rutan; 05-02-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #22
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Heatherbelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnfocusNtuned View Post
To keep the pipes a living instrument it should be able to continue exploring different forms of music, but if discord is created it stops being musical.
Really? I wonder how people define discord? I suspect people would think of intervals of a second, seventh, semitone, augmented intervals, diminished etc as being discordant. It's a real surprise that such a high percentage of pipers need/want the music to be pleasurable as a main requirement. To me that would be like being an artist but only having half a palette--or only bright colours. Or like smiling and getting on with people all the time and never having an argument.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #23
MelodyPipes
Forum Regular

MelodyPipes is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherbelle View Post
Really? I wonder how people define discord?
Hi Heatherbelle -- I had the same question.....

What one person would call music and another might regard as discord -- perhaps a matter of personal taste. But....does "discordant" mean unacceptable as music?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #24
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Heatherbelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody View Post
But....does "discordant" mean unacceptable as music?
I hope not. It would be like painting a picture of thunder and storm clouds with only bright happy colours in the palette!
On the one hand it has really surprised me how many pipers want to hear 'nice happy sunny' music that they find primarily pleasureable. But on the other hand we're living in an age where often we're told it's good to smile and bad to cry. Even in schools they give out stickers to smilers.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #25
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

pancelticpiper

Sorry but the poll doesn't make much sense to me.

Trying to define music is like trying to define visual art. Even harder is to define what is "good art".

The definition that I like best is the one proposed by a drawing teacher I had in college, which could be applied to the visual arts, music, or literature:

"Art is the recording of human experience. The more profound the experience, and the more clear the recording of it, the better the art."

Then there's the blunt definition of music I heard once:

"Any sound you want to hear is music. Any sound you don't want to hear is noise."

I thought this thread, from the title, might be about the concept of being a "piper" v being a "musician". My old dear friend the late PM Kevin Blandford was always careful in his use of these words. Of some pipers he would say "he's a very good piper" but of other pipers he would say "he's a very good musician". The distinction was due to him continually encountering good pipers who were utterly ignorant of the wider world of music.

One example might well illustrate this:

(to an Open piper, the PM of a Grade Two band, back in the 1980s when some bands were still playing at 466, and some were considerably sharper)

"where is your band tuned?"

"we're in tune."

"I mean where are you pitched at?"

"we're in tune."

"well for example if you were to play a church gig and have to play with the organ, would you be in tune with the organ or would you be sharp of the organ?"

"the organ would tune to me."

Which left Kevin somewhat speechless. Yes, a pipe organ is going to tune several hundred pipes to tune to your bagpipes.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #26
johnsog
Forum Member

johnsog is on a distinguished road

What a delightful question to ponder!! It's very interesting and educational reading the answers.
I know a lot of musicians who are great technical players of whatever instrument but don't have a strong interpretive sense. I'd much rather listen to someone with a talent for creating images and it's their CDs I'll purchase.
The winter 2011 issue of Common Stock, published by the Lowland and Border Pipers Society, contains an article discussing "dird", which, I gather, is that something in the music that makes one desire to dance. That, personally, is what makes a piece "music". It's really all in the ear of the listener, however. Everyone is listening for something different.
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote