Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews Reviews of CDs, Music Books, DVDs, etc.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #31
RandyJ
Forum Regular

RandyJ
Default Re: Husk Chanter Reeds

I'll second what USMCpiper said. Great reeds. To be more precise, my band sets our Shepherd chanters at 478. I had no problem setting my alternate chanter, a Kyo laminate the same. I had to tape the F just a smidgen and that was it.
RandyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #32
MelodyPipes
Forum Regular

MelodyPipes is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macleod View Post
Well I've just had my first 15 minutes blow with a husk reed and so far it has exceeded my expectations! I'm not one for believing hypes or jumping on bandwagons and it was just out of sheer curiosity that I decided purchase a reed from Mr Husk. I've had loads of problems getting a decent sound from my Poly McC2 solo chanter since I bought it a couple of months ago. I was on the verge of thinking that maybe the chanter was never going to sound as good as i'd hoped but I realise now all that was reed problems (thank god!).
I, too, have an McC2 solo chanter (ABW) and while I have not had a real problem with past reeds, I purchased 2 Husk reeds because I was down to only one playable reed which was a bit "fickle." Anyway, I just received my reeds and they are awesome!!!! I started to blow one in immediately, and it settled into my MCC2 chanter quite nicely at 466 -- nice low A-High A octave as well as low G high G -- no screeching on high A. It fit perfectly into the reed seat without adding any hemp like it was "custom" made for my chanter. I wanted to play longer (long enough to start fine tuning with tape), but it was almost 9 PM and I had to shut it down for the evening so as not to keep the neighbors up -- can't wait to play this reed again this afternoon after work... need to tape a bit on one or two notes on the top hand to fine tune, but thought I'd play the reed a bit more before doing so.

Thank you Shawn -- really nice reeds!!!

Melody

P.S. -- I have no incentives for promoting Husk reeds. This is my honest review of the reeds I purchased for my McC2 chanter. I hope my post has not violated any forum rules. I am a bit confused by the recently communicated policy, in general. I understand the purpose, but it would be very easy to violate it without knowing it!

Last edited by MelodyPipes; 05-14-2012 at 06:59 AM.
MelodyPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #33
Seth
Forum Gold Medal

Seth

I had Shawn make me a few border-pipe reeds. He had never made one before but was able to make a reed that works very well in a reduced highland bore, Hammish style, chanter on a first try. It was as good or better than bridling and scraping down an easy Soutar which is another good BP alternative. Seth
www.SethHamon.com
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote