Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
MelodyPipes
Forum Regular

MelodyPipes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Summer Piping School

As a beginner to intermediate piper, I am curious to know who has participated in a summer piping school? What were your experiences? Did you enjoy the experience? Did it help you progress?

I've just enrolled in the Balmoral School summer session to be held at Sonoma State University in June. I am very excited about attending and learning -- so much so that I took one week of my precious vacation time to devote totally to my piping. Here's to taking it to the next level!!!!

BTW -- is anyone else on this forum planning to be at the June 10-15 Balmoral Summer School session??? I look forward to meeting other pipers!

Last edited by MelodyPipes; 04-26-2012 at 08:51 PM.
MelodyPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
ratherbpiping
Holy smoking keyboard!

ratherbpiping
Default Re: Summer Piping School

As a kid I attended Piping school every summer. IT was great. But as an adult I have attended one two week school at the Gaelic College in St. Ann Nova Scotia.

It was a great experience. Very different from my teenage years. However, there were not near as many students or instructors.

However, a vacation of taking a week to go to a piping school would be fantastic.

Several in our band go to the College of piping in Carlsbad, or IIan Whitlaws school. I think a father son team in our band attended Balmoral one year. They had a blast and meet all kinds of people.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Curt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Curt

You are going to have a great time and learn a lot. Enjoy. I have been to many Balmoral Schools and came away with a lot each time. Great stuff.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Ken Gordon
Forum Silver Medal

Ken Gordon is an unknown quantity at this point

I attended the Coeur d'Alene, Idaho pipe school in 1975, '76, '77 and '78. I started at age 33. It was very well worth it. I met a lot of very good people, many with whom I still keep in contact, and learned enough in the normal 1 week period to keep me busy for the next entire year. I was amazed after the 1975 session, both at what I had learned...and how much I had yet to learn.

Go. It will be very well worth your while.
Ken Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Heatherbelle

I've been on over 25 seasonal schools. I think they're definitely well worth it, for the instruction you get, the people you meet, the dedicated time to spend solely on piping related things, and just for the whole experience. They're kind of entities in themselves I think.
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
MelodyPipes
Forum Regular

MelodyPipes is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the feedback! I am really looking forward to attending piping school in June. Browsing the internet, there are many sessions all over the place -- might be fun to attend in different parts of the country, or in Canada or abroad someday!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
Sunwolfe
Forum Member

Location: The Great Central Valley of California where pipebands go to die
Sunwolfe

Melody,

I'm gonna throw in a plug for the CoP Summer School down in Carlsbad, CA. This will be my 12th year attending (I live in the Central Valley, so it's a hop-skip-and-a-jump to get there). The weather is usually quite wonderful as it's right on the coast. The instructors are top notch. I always come a way with a full slate of new music to work on for the rest of the season.

One of the absolute best features of the school besides the great instruction and wonderful music is that the instructors are extremely accessible and do not "check-out" to go play a round of golf after a full day of classes or distance themselves from us but offer recitals and lectures during the first three evenings and participate with us in our after-class activities: Talent Night, Barbeque on the Beach, Pub Night and the Community Concert (which involves the whole school—instructors and students). The instructors understand that for many of us vacation time is the only time we can come and learn from them, that it is a measure of our commitment. They honor this and do not act as if they are on vacation themselves, but remain available after classes and, for the most part, eat with us, visit us as we practice and generally hang out with us.

Everyone's experience may vary, I understand this, but for me its been hard work and fun. Arriving back at the school after a year feels like a home coming because of the camaraderie, friendship and positive vibe. It never fails that I come away musically stretched, sore and challenged, my head aspin with tunes and information, but I always miss it and can't wait to get back every year. Just talkin’ about it has me stoked! 46 days and counting!

Good luck and have fun !
In the end, there are no magic beans, no silver bullets or divine piping oracles. It's about, "...a determined resolution, good tuition, and careful [and constant] practice during a severe course of training..." Call it Piper Fu, "obvious" or whatever, but that's what I got after 30 years.
Sunwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Steve397
Forum Regular

Steve397

Been to four Balmoral sessions at Sonoma State and will be attending my 5th in a row this year. You will enjoy it. Brian Donaldson is a fantastic instructor as well as a fantastic piper and pipe maker.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
Tripp
Holy smoking keyboard!

Tripp

I've been to Piping Hot Summer Drummer once and am returning again this year. Had an absolute blast last year, but it was bloody exhausting. Met some great folks and really pushed myself (and was pushed by the other pipers in my group). Simply taking a week and immersing yourself in the art form will do you loads of good. You'll enjoy it.

Denver Bagpipe Lessons Skype Bagpipe Lessons
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote