Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Webmaster & Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Webmaster & Software Piping site related, piping music related

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
LindyHoppingPiper
Forum Silver Medal

LindyHoppingPiper is on a distinguished road
Default Good, But Inexpensive Computer Mic?

So I've tried doing some recordings with my built-in mic on my laptop and needless to say that didn't really work, even after adjusting volume and stuff. Recording facing the mic produces a very distorted sound without much drone sound, turning away from the mic gives me almost all tenor drone and makes the bass sound really weak (and I'm playing a MacLellan with Rockets by the way, it shouldn't sound like that I wouldn't think).

I figure the quality of the mic is probably the issue. Can someone recommend a mic that won't distort under high volume, accurately capture the drone sound, but not break the bank? Thanks!
LindyHoppingPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
wysper
Forum Silver Medal

wysper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Good, But Inexpensive Computer Mic?

Good thread Lindy.

I will follow this one too, I tried using my Logitech Skype Camera (has a mic built it). It was not good. A cheapie for sure but not any good for recording my playing.

So I will be interested in peoples experiences too.
wysper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
teuchter46
Forum Silver Medal

teuchter46 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been using an iPod touch with the "Blue Mikey" external mic ($50) and the recording app "FiRe" and have got surprisingly good results. I get a good balance of sound between chanter and drones with no distortion. I practice in a room about 13ft by 12 ft with an 8 ft ceiling and place the ipod about 5 feet behind me facing up. That seems to get a good blend of drone and chanter together.

The mic has adjustable sensitivity and the software allows lots of tweaking in the recording. It will upload recordings wirelessly to your PC or to SoundCloud, preformatted as one of several formats for playback. The Mikey is for older iPods/iPhones and won't work with iPhone 4 models. The FiRe software company (Audiofile Engineering) recommends a mic called the iRig mic for newer devices. I think there is also an Android version.
teuchter46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

bob864

If you can spend $90 then you might consider a Zoom H1 recorder, which is a stand alone recorder, but can also be connected to your computer.

For $30 the Blue Snowflake would probably work, but I don't have one. Supposedly the max SPL is 120 db, which is plenty.

No matter what microphone, for best results if you only have one you want it to be six to nine feet away, and maybe at shoulder height. You can move it to change the balance between chanter and drones.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
stever
Forum Regular

stever

I've used the snowflake with great success. Very good for pipes as it has a -10dB setting so it doesn't saturate as much when recording pipes.
stever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #6
Johnniez
Forum Gold Medal

Johnniez is on a distinguished road

There is no such thing as 'good' and 'cheap' .. Those words just never work when said in the same breath..

It is either good.. or cheap.. but never both.

You buy cheap, you get cheap.. simple as that.

Johnnie
Johnniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 AM   #7
Nicholas Monin
Forum Member

Nicholas Monin is on a distinguished road

I haven't used the Snowflake, but I have been using a Blue Eyeball (webcam/mic) lately and the microphone handles the pipes very well. The webcam isn't the greatest but it works. A quick look on Amazon has them from $40-$60.
Nicholas Monin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

bob864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniez View Post
There is no such thing as 'good' and 'cheap' .. Those words just never work when said in the same breath..

It is either good.. or cheap.. but never both.

You buy cheap, you get cheap.. simple as that.

Johnnie
Actually, a Panasonic WM61 is a good microphone capsule by many measures and you can buy it for $2. It has more self noise than you'd want to put on a commercial recording, but it's exceptionally accurate and handles very high spls.

My plastic McCallum bagpipes were cheap too, as far as bagpipes go ($450) and they are very good. My Jerry Freeman tinwhistle was only $30 and it is exceptional.

In many cases there seems to be little correlation between price and quality. In fact, in many documented cases companies have been able to decrease costs by improving quality.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
snowbear
Forum Silver Medal

snowbear is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about these cheap mics, but I would prefer a large condensation microphone for drones and a small one for the chanter. I really love the clip-om mic. That way the drones will be recorded separately. You can then mix the drones and the chanter together in a simple software.
You can actually do this on a single input by splitting it. Drones in left, chanter in right (or the other way around). It will then be in mono, but that's easily adjustable afterwards.

That's the cheapest version I can think of.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
MSG_T
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

MSG_T

I do ALL my recording and Skype Lessons with a Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 video Camera. You just have to take the Inteli Mic off or the volume goes in and out. Go to manual mode and you can adjust it, and i have some Excellent Quality using it. I have used this also while deployed in Iraq and it STILL did well. But thats just my 2 cents
MSG_T is offline   Reply With Quote