Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #191
Steve Anderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Steve Anderson
Send a message via MSN to Steve Anderson Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Anderson Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Anderson
Default Re: What is an Adult Beginner's Actual Potential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolt View Post
I was thinking so where is the bar for someone in their fifties 1 year 2nd year 3rd year. I just play for myself and self taught after the first year. I don't even know another piper and after 2.5 years I can play 40 or so tunes from memory and lately I found that a lot of tunes I hear I can just play by ear, Le boem, Sgt Mack and a few others. I like to play every tune I know every day My current goal is to play those 40 well by year 3.
Good for you and keep up the work! As a note, other students may focus on learning fewer tunes before getting to where they believe the tunes are played well. I don't know how many tunes I can play by rote but after nearly 4 years, it is probably <60. I work at the tunes regularly trying to make sure I have the idiom of the style before expanding into more tunes.

Finally, there is no bar except that which you (or anyone) make for yourself. Less time thinking of bars and limitations on improvement ability and more with practice will make your 3 year goal a more likely eventuality.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #192
DallPiobaire
Holy smoking keyboard!

DallPiobaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
Now that you've added "responsible" I suppose so

On the one hand I get what you're saying and it makes sense, but on the other hand I've seen more than a few pipers who really wish I hadn't. I suspect they were happy with how they were playing, since they were out doing it, but it sounded terrible. Somehow they were receiving feedback incorrectly.

To me, that's one of the really great aspects of competition. The judges are an independent, neutral voice. They won't tell a person his/her playing is "great" if it's not, while that person's friends and family, or even that person's instructor, might.
Oh here, here, well said as usual Bob

Perhaps it is truly an instance of ignorant bliss!
of course, if someone were to give such a person feedbaack, which would, more than likely, not be to the piper's liking that piper would chalk that up to an audience that just didn't like the pipes or was in fact ignorant of piping.

Keeping with the idea that everyone is usually his or her own worst critic, it never ceases to amaze me as to the severity of some of the atrocities commited in the name of piping, some even recorded for posterity!

How could anyone listen to such muck and not realize that they are not quite ready for prime time is beyond me!
Braw Jock Wee Heavy on tap!
DallPiobaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #193
SquintingPatrick
Forum Gold Medal

SquintingPatrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob864 View Post
I think that depends on if you play in public or not.
We are always in public, I am afraid. I know someone who likes to face the corner of the room whenever he's tuning or running through his exercises, to signal that whatever he's doing is not meant for the public.
Doesn't work, you can still hear him all the way down the street.

The important thing is to make our performances good to listen to, for everyone within earshot, and have a lot of fun while we are at it. I think that's what it's all about - good performances for the audience, and fun for the piper. If we can do that then, I wouldn't worry too much about the Glenfiddich thing. It can wait.
SquintingPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #194
Tripp
Holy smoking keyboard!

Tripp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquintingPatrick View Post
...If we can do that then, I wouldn't worry too much about the Glenfiddich thing. It can wait.
Indeed. It's ultimately about music, not prizes. I think that for me, competition and the focus it brings out in me is, at this point, helpful to me musically. At some point I could see playing w/other musicians and putting a lot less emphasis on competing. For now, that's not the case. Mainly, I just love playing the instrument. Taking days off to rest are annoying... but have proven important so I do it... Playing to the joy of it... that's what it should be all about eh?

Denver Bagpipe Lessons Skype Bagpipe Lessons
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #195
DallPiobaire
Holy smoking keyboard!

DallPiobaire

All great points and so true!

It is...a unique instrument, and we who love it, unique in who we are and in why we love it. Whether we play for ousrselves in a basement, for others on a street corner or performace hall, or for those who enjoy the thrill of competition. No one avenue is more or less meaningful then the other, but common to all is a love of the instrument and it's music, and the willingness to work ones arse off to truly get what we want out of it.
Braw Jock Wee Heavy on tap!
DallPiobaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #196
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

John Bolt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallPiobaire View Post
All great points and so true!

It is...a unique instrument, and the willingness to work ones arse off to truly get what we want out of it.
And finally the secret of success.

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #197
Ben Shaffer
Forum Clasp

Ben Shaffer

I think the ultimate level an Adult will play on will be pretty much the same as younger people. That is it will follow the bell Curve...... 2 will be pretty bad, 6 will be just average and 2 will be really good
Ben Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #198
Johnpaul
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Johnpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

I know some one who's been playing 40+ years and he's still c..p! Sure age figures but it's a lot more about state of mind,grown ups are more critical of them selves and it holds us back,number 1 thing,enjoy and don't worry whats ahead or how good you should be,live the moment and love what you do and your fingers along with your mind will come alive! Oh don't forget to floss! :-)
Johnpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #199
MSG_T

MSG_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton Adler View Post
I wrote a nice, long answer to this and just as I was about to send it I closed the window by accident and lost it.

Readers Digest version instead, which you'll probably prefer anyway.

I started ten years ago at age 39. I practice like a fiend and play in Grade II solos and have made the prizes at games in EUSPBA, MWPBA, WUSPBA, and SUSPBA during my competition tenure. I've got a mess of medals, trophies, and plaques from 13 states. I'm not great, but I'm adequate. More than that I'm entertaining. Even if I play crummy on a particular day, I'm still good looking and funny.

I've also been fortunate enough to play in a few good bands at Grade V, IV, and III levels.

If you have a modicum of musical ability, a lot of self-discipline, work hard, and don't take yourself too seriously you can go a long way with it. You're never going to play at Oban. If it's cold outside and my fingers get stiff I'm lucky to play at all. I'll probably never make Grade I, unless I win the lottery and can just stay home all day and play the bagpipe. Even then it would be a stretch.

My original goal was to be able to play Amazing Grace at my grandmother's grave at some point. That point was a long way back, so everything after that has been BONUS! Decide what you want out of it, and work toward that. When you get there, be thankful and then see where it takes you.

Just remember above all else that if it ain't fun, it ain't worth it.
You Sir, deserve BIG Kudos. I am Sooo happy you posted. I too started late in life, 39 while deployed in Iraq. I have been deployed one time since that in 2008, and i practice about 2-3 hours a day Religously. I want to be great, not just good. How good will I be? Don't really know if me making it inot a Grade 4 or 3 or even a 2 band determines that. I have played several Memorial Services for our Fallen Warriors, and to have a Family member or a child of a fallen Soldier tell me the Bagpipe music sounded amazing was good enough for me. DO i ever see an "old goat" making it to Grade 1 ? most likely not, we have so many odds agaisnt us, but hey, I dont pay attention to that. I was told at 42yrs old, You're way to old to go to US Army Ranger School...Hahahaha...think again young guns. Its all about diligence, sacrifice, and perservearance. All of which i am willing to put out. Just be happy with ehat you do, if you're not, push on. I know for me I'll nevber be happy, so i'll push till i break or am unable to play. At which point Ill revert back to nothing but Slow Airs But till then Im truckin on
MSG_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #200
Tristan_in_Surrey

Tristan_in_Surrey is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same boat, being an adult learner. What potential do I have? I suppose that depends on my goals. I didn't take up the pipes to win competitions; I took them up because they inside me, and because I love the challenge. And the best part... I don't have to impress anyone but myself.
Tristan_in_Surrey is online now   Reply With Quote