Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Webmaster & Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Webmaster & Software Piping site related, piping music related

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Heatherbelle
Default Sibelius update for bagpipe

I'm letting you see correspondence re an update to a Bagpipe PlugIn, for anyone who uses Sibelius. As you see, in due course the Bagpipes Suite file on the PlugIns download page on Sibelius will be updated.

Hi Janette,

I think I have fixed the problem in the Play Pipe Ornaments plugin. Here is an updated version of the plugin.

I would recommend running the updated plugin on any score you ran the old one on, and I also recommend selecting the entire bagpipe instrument (all bars) when you do that, rather than going a bar at a time. It probably does not really make a difference, but it you are running on a file that was previously processed, I think it best that you start from bar 1 and continue to the end, to avoid missing any incorrectly processed bars.

Once I test it a bit more, I will update the Bagpipes Suite file on the plugins download page.

If you know of anyone else who has used the plugins, or know of bagpipe forums where anyone might have come across them, please let them know that this plugin has been updated, and either send them the zip file or tell them to get the updated file from the Sibelius download page.

I have run the plugin on your score, and I attach the result. It does not have the holes where it did before, and to my hearing, seems to play continuously. I was a bit concerned at places like bar 100 where the grace notes are barely audible, but if I slow it down, I hear them, and the Live Playback data for them looks fine.

So again, the problem only came up when there are adjacent notes with ornaments, and the 2nd or later ornament starts before the beat, which is what was happening in bar 4 of this score. If there is only 1 ornament in a bar, or if they all start on the beat, there would have been no problem. We must not have had such cases when we tested the plugins, or else we just did not notice, which happens…

So I hope this solves your problem. I notice that there are a huge number of ornaments in this score! Did you use the Add Ornament plugin to add them, or did you do those by hand?

All the best

Bob
Heatherbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Mac Aindriú
Forum Regular

Mac Aindriú
Default Re: Sibelius update for bagpipe

Heatherbelle,
I'm glad to see an bagpipe update with Sibelius, I'm a little leery about some of the plug-ins I have the engraving features right where I want them and they look fabulous. I don't think I'll upgrade anytime soon unless they improve their bagpipe sound, right now it sounds like a weak penny whistle and you're right the grace notes aren't on the beat. I'll be looking for more information on this page, outside of the issues I stated it's a great music program.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Heatherbelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Aindriú View Post
Heatherbelle,
I'm glad to see an bagpipe update with Sibelius, I'm a little leery about some of the plug-ins I have the engraving features right where I want them and they look fabulous. I don't think I'll upgrade anytime soon unless they improve their bagpipe sound, right now it sounds like a weak penny whistle and you're right the grace notes aren't on the beat. I'll be looking for more information on this page, outside of the issues I stated it's a great music program.
Yes re the sound----re the gracenote placings, the Play Pipe Ornaments PlugIn enables you to choose where to place them. Jim MacGillivray worked with Bob Zawalich to develop this. And yes give it a day or two and the new version of the Bagpipe Suite should be there.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Mac Aindriú
Forum Regular

Mac Aindriú

I'm glad to see that Jim MacGillivray is involed with Bob that way I'll know the plug-in will be top shelve.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Heatherbelle

Yes Jim gave Bob all the technical details from the piping side, so the combination was top notch. My main involvement was that through being so incompetent, I was never away from the Sibelius Help Center, and so it was going to be easier for everyone if Bob dealt with my queries on a one to one basis via email. And he being who he is, he took up the challenge and went a whole lot further, which was great for all of us. Maybe the moral of the tale is 'never be afraid to admit to shortcomings - you never know where it could lead'. LOL!

Last edited by Heatherbelle; 04-27-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Andrew Lenz

Andrew Lenz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm glad to see that Jim MacGillivray is involed with Bob that way I'll know the plug-in will be top shelve.
It doesn't change the information, but out of respect for Jim, it's spelled "McGillivray".

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Heatherbelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
It doesn't change the information, but out of respect for Jim, it's spelled "McGillivray".

Andrew
Oh sorry Andrew, it was only a typo, as I've been writing his name several times every week for the past few years, on the copyright notices on the bottom of his scores. Obviously no disrespect is intended - I think the world of him and he knows it!!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Mac Aindriú
Forum Regular

Mac Aindriú
Default Re: Sibelius First

Heatherbelle,
Did you see that Sibelius has a new software program called ‘Sibelius First’ and it's a lot less than 6 or 7.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Heatherbelle
Holy smoking keyboard!

Heatherbelle
Default Re: Sibelius First

Quote:
Heatherbelle,
Did you see that Sibelius has a new software program called ‘Sibelius First’ and it's a lot less than 6 or 7.
Is that a simpler version or a replacement for the Student version? Haven't looked into it but I'll have a look.