Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #21
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Yanny or Laurel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
As I understand it, there is no word "Yanny". The recorded word is "Laurel" but it is heard as "Yanny" by some folks.

I’d offer that in colloquial Egyptian Arabic the word ‘yanni’ ..in the mid ‘90’s was ..sort of...meaning ‘friend’ ...sort of as in ‘..listen,..friend....”

Hence I wondered was this word from a ‘ british’ poem or ditty or balllad stemming from the regiments times in Egypt...or maybe Stan and Ollie’s stint there for one of their flicks.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #22
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
I’d offer that in colloquial Egyptian Arabic the word ‘yanni’ ..in the mid ‘90’s was ..sort of...meaning ‘friend’ ...sort of as in ‘..listen,..friend....”
You are probably right. Plus it's also the name of the Greek musician guy! For the background of how this conundrum came about:

"On May 11, Katie Hetzel, a freshman at Flowery Branch High School in Georgia, was studying for her world literature class, where “laurel” was one of her vocabulary words. She looked it up on Vocabulary.com, and played the audio. Instead of the word in front of her, she heard “yanny.”

“I asked my friends in my class and we all heard mixed things,” says Hetzel."

I don't think these kids know anything of Stan and Oliver. Maybe not even dear Yanni
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #23
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
You are probably right. Plus it's also the name of the Greek musician guy! For the background of how this conundrum came about:

"On May 11, Katie Hetzel, a freshman at Flowery Branch High School in Georgia, was studying for her world literature class, where “laurel” was one of her vocabulary words. She looked it up on Vocabulary.com, and played the audio. Instead of the word in front of her, she heard “yanny.”

“I asked my friends in my class and we all heard mixed things,” says Hetzel."

I don't think these kids know anything of Stan and Oliver. Maybe not even dear Yanni
...zo,...still wondering wot this at all on this forum has to do with bagpipes or piping.....
Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #24
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
...zo,...still wondering wot this at all on this forum has to do with bagpipes or piping.....
Have you ever wondered about what some Pipe Majors, or Judges hear played versus what you've heard played?

Well not a direct link, cause, or end point. But it can be a point of contention for the next John McEnroe of the Piping World for when he, she, or it calls out the judges as incompetent, hearing impaired, doddering old gits, who wouldn't know a throw from a grip.

Me, I just sit there with a stop watch and enjoy the show. Press to start, press to stop, and record the time. And are you sure you want to play into the circle now.... Bwahahaha
Old 05-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #25
BGP
Forum Regular

Quote:

Because supposedly not being able to hear the higher frequency's which make up "yanny" is an indication of hearing loss.

My question is what sort of person is able to ignore the heavy low pitched L and R sounds.
BGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #26
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I hear it quite clearly as laurel at normal levels, but when I start messing around with volume I can hear yanny. As I reduce the volume the first L becomes a Y and then the R becomes indeterminate, then I hear yanny quite clearly.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:33 PM   #27
SquintingPatrick
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper Q View Post
Have you ever wondered about what some Pipe Majors, or Judges hear played versus what you've heard played?

Well not a direct link, cause, or end point. But it can be a point of contention for the next John McEnroe of the Piping World...
I understand that the sound clip has to be of a low quality before there can be ambiguity. If you clearly enunciate the words, people won't mistake one for the other. Our instrument lacks ambiguity. But then, food for thought. I understand that people can perceive colours differently (like that dress which is either blue and black, or while and gold) which then affects how we appreciate the visual arts. Would it be possible that, given the right conditions, people can hear different melodies from the same performance?

I have wondered, from time to time, about the lack of appreciation for my playing. In my case, sadly, there are no two opposing schools of thought. There isn't one that thinks I play better than I can. The moment I strike up, the cats are out of the bag, so to speak. The consensus all around the field is general and immediate, and the judge is just one of many who are part of that consensus. Can't argue my way out of it.
SquintingPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:19 AM   #28
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Never heard of this business. Something else from the West that I am missing out on in the East, like Haggis, poutine, and Big Macs.

What else are those Reptilians in the Mother Ship denying us?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #29
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Never heard of this business. Something else from the West that I am missing out on in the East, like Haggis, poutine, and Big Macs.

What else are those Reptilians in the Mother Ship denying us?
David....IMHO...you’re not missing anything here; some people stay up late into the night to come up with questions brilliant minds can’t answer.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #30
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
David....IMHO...you’re not missing anything here; some people stay up late into the night to come up with questions brilliant minds can’t answer.
We prefer to stay up all night and end up WITH the answers. Now, as a purely physics problem, the Yanny/Laurel matter has some merit. Then when played backward it is bound to yield further evidence that Paul is, indeed, dead. Drowned in a pool of liver. Lord-a-Mersey side the weary listener.
David is offline   Reply With Quote