Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-20-2018, 08:04 AM   #51
Tom MacKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Delrin pipes at the worlds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
What is the lowest grade at the world’s ,anyway?
The lowest grade is 4A.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #52
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom MacKenzie View Post
The lowest grade is 4A.
THx Tom. I thot so...had a couple of students there ( won the title) a few years ago. Was just too lazy to go start digging it out.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #53
Dan Bell
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
THx Tom. I thot so...had a couple of students there ( won the title) a few years ago. Was just too lazy to go start digging it out.
Not correct. The lowest grade is 4B, and there is also a novice juvenile A and B, and a juvenile A and B. I'm not sure what grades those bands play in when there aren't juvenile events offered (the tops of those grades are VERY good).

To the original topic: I know of at least one band in the Grade 4A final this year that had a set of plastic drones in the circle. I don't know how common it is, but it's not unheard of. If well-set, and managed correctly, plastic drones are perfectly adequate band instruments, at least in the lower grades.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #54
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
Not correct. The lowest grade is 4B, and there is also a novice juvenile A and B, and a juvenile A and B. I'm not sure what grades those bands play in when there aren't juvenile events offered (the tops of those grades are VERY good).
In the olden days when I was competing, Nov Jov was akin to G4 and A good Juvenile could compete in G2
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:32 PM   #55
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
I didn't oil the bores of those ABW Dunbars, so there you go.

After 10 minutes of playing the "poly" Dunbars the insides of the drones were soaking wet. After 30 minutes of playing either ABW set they were not.
Probably better to refer to bores in wood pipes as being hydrophobic, which is often achieved through oiling, or just new wood in recently made or rarely played bagpipes. One does not want much, if not any moisture absorbing into your bores; that's just asking for a crack. And unchecked moisture will play havock through swelled hemp, soaked drone reeds, and migrating tuning. Thus, moisture control systems are a good thing in wood and poly pipes.

I cannot comment on your experience without knowing any of the factors. I stand by my own research indicating no difference in condensation between poly pipes and wood pipes under controlled conditions of ~ 35% RH at ~68º F, with multiple repetitions between 30 and 60 minutes. After all...

When you can measure what you are speaking about and
express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when
you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers,
your knowledge is of the meager and unsatisfactory kind.
Lord Kelvin

Last edited by HighlandPark; 01-25-2018 at 05:48 PM.
HighlandPark is offline   Reply With Quote