Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Old 01-11-2021, 07:18 AM   #41
johnsog
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Tunes you absolutely HATE!

But, as previously mentioned, we might factor in the purpose of our playing. While Itchy might be tedious for a lot of us, most audiences are not familiar with it or at least are not near the burn-out point. Our band includes enough newbies that they don't know all the tunes and have the great option of not playing tunes that are not up to par, yet joining in on the ones they can pull off well. This gives others the flexibility of opting out of tunes as well, though this rarely happens. I do find it comforting to know I don't HAVE TO play a tune I really don't like. I WILL play it but it helps knowing that I won't be jettisoned from the group if I find myself in a more rebellious mood.
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:08 PM   #42
Drewz Dronez
Forum Silver Medal

I am really surprised no one has mentioned Caller Herrin - it's an extremely unmelodic tune which gets murdered by Grade 4 bands. Have no idea why it would be in any band's repertoire.

Apart from that good old Amazing Grace. The Royal Scot Dragoon Guards have a lot to answer for with this!

cheers

Andrew

http://www.blacktownpipeband.com
Drewz Dronez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:36 AM   #43
KDB
Forum Member

I find threads like this one disturbing. Not because people dislike certain tunes, everyone's taste is different and we can't all like the same things.

The thing that disturbs me is the number of folks who have had tunes ruined for them by pipers or bands making attempts at tunes which were above their competency. This is a dilemma for me, because I am a "hack" piper! I started late in life (age 45) and the one and only competition I ever won was Grade V.

My technique will never impress anyone in this august assemblage, but I take pains to tune properly, and to play musically. I limit my public performances to tunes that I feel I can do credit to. Nevertheless, there is a part of me that recalls threads like this one whenever I open my pipe case and wonders whether I have any business playing at all.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:19 PM   #44
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
I find threads like this one disturbing. Not because people dislike certain tunes, everyone's taste is different and we can't all like the same things.

The thing that disturbs me is the number of folks who have had tunes ruined for them by pipers or bands making attempts at tunes which were above their competency. This is a dilemma for me, because I am a "hack" piper! I started late in life (age 45) and the one and only competition I ever won was Grade V.

My technique will never impress anyone in this august assemblage, but I take pains to tune properly, and to play musically. I limit my public performances to tunes that I feel I can do credit to. Nevertheless, there is a part of me that recalls threads like this one whenever I open my pipe case and wonders whether I have any business playing at all.
I believe that most of us hear you, KDB. And keep your case open and your pipes up! I believe that you have the right perspective, and I respect you for working towards goals and understanding what may be a bit of a reach...for now. You're very correct that there are a number of players and bands who reach unrealistically; that's not you.

I knew a P/M of a Grade 4 band who worshipped SFU. OK; fine! However, he took his worship further by introducing tunes the band never, ever should have been playing. And the result was as expected; and an insult, rather than homage to Grade 1 bands.

If you're competing with something that is currently beyond reach, a competent judge will point it out and provide guidance and suggestions. Many of us have done that. None of us will judge you; for, as I said, I believe you have the proper perspective. Play on!
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:12 AM   #45
johnsog
Forum Silver Medal

Indeed, play on!! Not all of us are blessed with the wonderful combination of upbringing, early start, natural talent, excellent coaching and TIME to become top notch pipers/drummers. Those of us who started late and are still blessed with a day job still have a lot to offer with our music. We need to stay cognizant of our abilities and goals so we don't overreach ourselves. Blessings and joy in your playing!!
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM   #46
David D.
Forum Regular

Danny Boy in any way shape or form.......
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM   #47
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
Danny Boy in any way shape or form.......
Just when I had forgotten that anyone had ever tried this on highland pipes, you had to go remind me!
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote