Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Soda Shoppe
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Soda Shoppe For young pipers, drummers, and others not quite old enough for the beer tent.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #11
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Default Re: Playing while having a cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondPiper View Post
But what about the germs or whatever that I would think that you're blowing into the bag (just like breathing all over another person)? Definitely wiser to take that break and play your electronic chanter ...
Forgive me, but unless the issue at play here is involving someone else grabbing your pipes and playing on them, this should be a moot issue after you've recovered. Recovery means that your body has learned how to combat and conquer those germs, rendering you as immune to them. Essentially, you can't catch the same cold again from yourself.
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #12
AgentLars
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondPiper View Post
But what about the germs or whatever that I would think that you're blowing into the bag (just like breathing all over another person)? Definitely wiser to take that break and play your electronic chanter ...
I'm not a doctor but, you shouldn't have to worry about your germs you blow into the bag. Once you body successfully fights that particular strain of cold virus, you are immune. Now I wouldn't let someone else play your pipes...

Now, it may be uncomfortable playing, depending on how you feel. So a bit of rest off the pipes wouldn't be a bad thing.

However, it could be worse, my pipe major passed a kidney stone during a gig once...
AgentLars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #13
luismxpiper49
Forum Member

dam guys, those experiences i read sound particularly not so good. im almost fully recovered. imho, the pipes were for me a good way to recover. i dont know, i just felt better each time i playyed... im i crazy? haha i dont know, but im certainly better. im glad we can have this kind of info in the bdf. thanks to all!
Old 01-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Glad you're feeling better.

I would imagine it really must depend on the particular aliment at play. In my case, I had a bad head cold/flu, and my sinuses were really knocking the life out of me. Blowing on a bagpipe is bound to rank as stress on your sinuses, and I have a hard time imagining a way where playing would bring improvement rather than detriment in that scenario.

Different strokes, different folks.

Cheers!
Old 02-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #15
SLCPiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
Recovery means that your body has learned how to combat and conquer those germs, rendering you as immune to them. Essentially, you can't catch the same cold again from yourself.
Speaking as a microbiologist, this is only partly true. While naturally recovering from some types of infection (without antibiotics/antivirals) can confer lifetime immunity, there are several organisms to which a person can develop only partial or even no immunity, meaning you can absolutely reinfect yourself with the bug from which you just recovered (again, only in some cases). Some of these are rare and some are quite common.

In most circumstances, I'd be less inclined to worry about viral contamination in the bag and more worried about bacterial or, much worse, fungal contamination, as most fungi and some bacteria have methods of preserving themselves outside of a host for months, and sometimes even years.

Good luck, though, and I hope you feel better!!
SLCPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:40 PM   #16
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPiper View Post
Speaking as a microbiologist, this is only partly true. While naturally recovering from some types of infection (without antibiotics/antivirals) can confer lifetime immunity, there are several organisms to which a person can develop only partial or even no immunity, meaning you can absolutely reinfect yourself with the bug from which you just recovered (again, only in some cases). Some of these are rare and some are quite common.

In most circumstances, I'd be less inclined to worry about viral contamination in the bag and more worried about bacterial or, much worse, fungal contamination, as most fungi and some bacteria have methods of preserving themselves outside of a host for months, and sometimes even years.

Interesting, thank you for the info!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #17
oldsoldier
Forum Silver Medal

I do believe that is why we drink whisky, correct?
Just a thought ;)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:42 PM   #18
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:

If I had to play while having a cold like this, I'd do a lot of gargling and rinsing with a strong mouthwash before and after playing to help kill germs. I wonder if blowing a a spoonful or two of Listerine in a bag, corking, and inflating it fully would help nail some germs and microbes within the bag as well? (Assuming your set-up allows you to do this inside a bag, and that mouthwash itself isn't damaging to a bag.)
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:53 AM   #19
RichmondPiper
Forum Regular

Quote:

Somewhere in this forum you will find links to the item concerning John Shone and the fungal infection in his bag that caused him serious health problems.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #20
Dan Bell
Forum Gold Medal

I've been in situations where I've HAD to play while sick (either for jobs or competitions), but seriously, if you don't have to, don't bother. Practicing when you don't feel well is generally a waste of time anyway, even without concerns about growing cooties in your bagpipes...
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote