Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #1
psychodonald
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Moisture Control Systems—suggestions please

I'm awaiting delivery of a set of McCallum AP4 Acetyl pipes, and I've the impression that a moisture control system is desirable especially with plastic pipes. Providing that my assumption is correct, I would welcome suggestions. I guess, like most players, I'm looking for ease of instillation, maintenance, coupled with efficiency (am I asking too much?). I'm not a particularly "wet blower," and I'm not a "dry blower" either, I guess I'm some where in the middle, an "average blower" if there is such a category. Thanks for taking the time to read this post and offer your suggestions. Cheers, Don.
psychodonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-07-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Moisture Control Systems--Suggestions Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodonald View Post
I'm awaiting delivery of a set of McCallum AP4 Acetyl pipes, and I've the impression that a moisture control system is desirable especially with plastic pipes. Providing that my assumption is correct, I would welcome suggestions. I guess, like most players, I'm looking for ease of instillation, maintenance, coupled with efficiency (am I asking too much?). I'm not a particularly "wet blower," and I'm not a "dry blower" either, I guess I'm some where in the middle, an "average blower" if there is such a category. Thanks for taking the time to read this post and offer your suggestions. Cheers, Don.
Hopefully you ordered your set with a Canmore hybrid bag....or a Bannatyne hybrid ...the Canmore will especially be helpful to with moisture control. The most simple MCS device imo is a vinyl tube trap to the rear of the bag and incorporating a Trap-Dri device. No pellets to dry, no kitty litter dust , virtually no added weight or bulk in the bag...and cost about <$5 to DIY + $25 for the Trap-Dri. Been using mine for at least 10 years...put onto it by a Scots Guard PM friend using same since years before....except no Trap-Dri.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:54 AM   #3
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Hopefully you ordered your set with a Canmore hybrid bag....or a Bannatyne hybrid ...the Canmore will especially be helpful to with moisture control. The most simple MCS device imo is a vinyl tube trap to the rear of the bag and incorporating a Trap-Dri device. No pellets to dry, no kitty litter dust , virtually no added weight or bulk in the bag...and cost about <$5 to DIY + $25 for the Trap-Dri. Been using mine for at least 10 years...put onto it by a Scots Guard PM friend using same since years before....except no Trap-Dri.
Yep, tube trap to keep things simple. If you require more moisture control, I suggest the Bannatyne Dri-Flo system. It is lightweight, easy to install and using the silica gels that produce no dust.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
thevoidboy
Forum Member

Yes, but you may find it valuable to have more. I use both the Bannatyne and the Ross system. Combined, they keep the drones perfectly dry after a long pibroch session.

-J David Hester, PhD
Alt Pibroch Club
www.altpibroch.com
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
Anndrah
Forum Member

In SLC you shouldnt need more than a simple tube trap at most. I have found the Canmore hybrid bag to be a darn fine pipe bag. Between that and a tube trap you should be able to compete with a band at most of the SW highland games with no trouble. If you go to canada or Scotland your needs would change.
Anndrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:45 AM   #6
psychodonald

Actually, I didn't order the Canmore Hybrid Bag originally; however, this afternoon, I was able to modify my order and for about $20.00 additional, I was able to obtain the Canmore Hybrid Bag. Thanks for the advice, it's now a done deal.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions regarding moisture control systems, I'm continuing to consider my options. Today, for example, the temp. was in the high 90's F. with the humidity in the teens-15%. It's been hot all week with low humidity. Tomorrow the temp. high is supposed to be 97 degrees F. We still have the hottest time of year ahead, with late July/early August being the warmest. Tonight, the humidity is up to 33% at present.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:58 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

In really dry times and humidity on parade a few ice cubes on the bag will help alleviate screeching chanters. Uniformly at the halt...everyone carefully pull chanters and give the reed a good wet lick on both sides.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #8
SFPIPER
Forum Regular

Default Re: Moisture Control Systems—suggestions please

My Dunbar P1s-
set up: L&M bag
tube trap
air stream blow pipe.
Simple and it works.
v/r

SFPIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

The best advice I can think of for moisture control is: yes, you will need some.

Exactly what works for you depends on a lot of factors (where you live, how wet you blow, how long you play in one session, where you plan to travel, etc). No system works without limits and no one setup is ideal for everyone. Personally, I blow too wet to play a synthetic bag without a canister-style moisture control system. With a hide bag (Gannaway or sheepskin) I do fine with just a tube-type trap. Start out with SOME kind of system, and then make adjustments as necessary.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
psychodonald

Thanks to all who have posted a response. Your comments are very helpful. My new pipes will have a Canmore Hybrid bag, which, as I understand it, is helpful in managing moisture. I suspect that I'll need additional moisture control. I suppose the best thing to do is wait until the pipes arrive, play them and see the degree of moisture control needed. I think that the Trap-Dri with silica gel bag might be the direction I'll go. At any rate, thanks for all of the input!!!