Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Are you an audiophile/or do you find sound fascinating?

Doesn't seem surprising that alot of pipers here would be audiophiles, I would consider myself (a budding) one as well.

I am just curious (and maybe thought why not spark some conversation) if your fascination with sound had anything to do with taking up the pipes, or vice versa? And/or you are fascinated with how sound works, how it can change, etc...?

I was just inspired to make this thread, as I am EXTREMELY pleased with the sound of my pipes now!
Old 06-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Are you an audiophile/or do you find sound fascinating?

Some would consider me an audiophile: tube amps, single-driver speakers, Rega CD-player, record player, etc.

However, I think it is coincidental with my interest in bagpiping. Also, playing my pipes has impacted my hearing in spite of ear protection.

I think bagpiping May be more associated with “nerdness” in the best sense of the term. There seem to be more academics in piping, along with engineers, teachers, and people interested in science.

Charlie
Old 06-08-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
DNorwood
Forum Member

I always associated and classified y'all as a bunch a rebellious, dysfunctional, egotistical, maniacal, obstinate, disruptive, anti-authority, passionate, and intelligent yet generally flawed in ability to reason, type of characters.

I am fairly certain I am correct in this too.

DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post
I always associated and classified y'all as a bunch a rebellious, dysfunctional, egotistical, maniacal, obstinate, disruptive, anti-authority, passionate, and intelligent yet generally flawed in ability to reason, type of characters.

I am fairly certain I am correct in this too.

But what are you then, my friend?
Old 06-09-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ever since hearing some of the most beautiful note sequences in traditional Japanese music as a young child, I have been fascinated with sound and how it can stimulate intellectual response. Emotional response--easy. But to stimulate the intellect is another matter. Some Japanese cord and discord created whole worlds for me, landscapes into which into which I could enter and, move about, as if traveling through the grain of a 2000 year old olive tree. Weather, dialogue, past, future, journey, history. No mere Narnia action adventure allegory in fairy land.

I watched a lot of Japanese historical drama in my childhood. Some great scores.

Last edited by David; 06-09-2018 at 06:03 AM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:25 AM   #6
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I do find sound fascinating, but I'm not an audiophile. If you graded audio playback equipment the same way you grade pipers, then I have a grade 3 system ;-)

But I just got an analog synthesizer and it's really cool. There are a lot of parallels between synths and pipes. Basically, a set of pipes is a collection of oscillators and filters.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:34 AM   #7
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Which synthesizer do you have?

Unfortunately, I don’t have room for an analog synth. However, I do have Arturia’s Modular Moog on my Mac and it is fun.

Charlie
Old 06-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #8
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

Bagpipes are for the rebellious side of me. As for my intimate relationship with sound and it's subtleties. It did not begin when I was a child trapped into listening to what my Father called "Good Music" I still gag when my now 91 year old Mother insists upon the Lawrence Welk show during dinner.

However, sounds had a deeply important resonance with me, as I used to be an Operator and Maintainer/Repaired of Precise Power Field Generators up to 200KW, putting out a frequency of 400Hz. The tonal variations between different and differing units were an indication of how well each was performing; whether loads were balanced and how loads were changing without constantly needing to monitor control panels. Sounds were also an indication of how fuel delivery to the cylinders of the engines was stable or not. A misfire in a multi-cylinder engine that still displays adequate power was an indication of problems to be corrected as soon as practical.

Sound also carried over in to my operation of heavy vehicles, You can tell a lot just from the hum or rumble of tires on smooth pavement, and how well an engine is working in a truck without computer gewgaws to tell you what broke.

There is a Zen quality to equipment sounds that you learn, and appreciate.
Ahhh but the Bagpipes they're rebellious they can be discordant when not in harmony, and when they are, the sounds can bridge all the emotions from Sad to Joyous. The most joyous of all; Party Tunes at the Funerals of those who vexed you in life! Sweet Revenge is also a sound I find fascinating and satisfying. Yes, I suppose you could say I find sounds fascinating.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Which synthesizer do you have?

Unfortunately, I don’t have room for an analog synth. However, I do have Arturia’s Modular Moog on my Mac and it is fun.

Charlie
I just got a Moog Sub 37. It's going to take a lot of time to really understand how it works.

If you like modular synths, check out the Moog Model 15 app for iPhone/iPad. It's really cool. Especially if you like Rush. Someone has a free set of patches for it, and one of them is the Tom Sawyer sound. Works for the intro and the solo.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
WBpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Brother got a new KORG Synthesizer, I don't know how to play any keyboard, but it was fun to try out.

When I was a small child and we had a toy keyboard with a square tone wave generator, I loved to hold two notes down and listen to the patterns and harmonies. My love of sound started at an early age.

I guess I always loved that drone tone