Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Reeds for High B?

OK, so this is probably coming from the fringe, but I play a bunch of tunes that require high B and/or high G#. Some of the reeds I've been using sail easily into the g high b, and some can barely make a b flat.
Does anyone have an idea what aspect of the reed makes the Hi B (&C #) easily reached?
Old 04-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Reeds for High B?

A starting point might be to look at the differences between uilleann chanter and regulator reeds - they are the same basic design but the regs are shaped so as to not overblow.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks, Calum, and if I ever get a chance to examine such reeds, I'll be happy to……

But, I have recently purchased chanter reeds for a few different reedmakers and have found that some of the same make and model of reed will easily overblow and others, ostensibly identical, will not and yet other will overblow, but produce a high B flat rather than a high B
Old 04-23-2018, 05:42 AM   #4
Conrad84
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

An admittedly wacky idea:

The Asturian gaita is commonly pitched around Bflat and seems designed to get those second octave notes. I've no idea if the chanter bore is at all similar to a GHB chanter (and otherwise don't know how much I don't know), but might their reeds be worth considering too?
Conrad84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
zarb
Forum Gold Medal

Send a message via AIM to zarb

I think its those few reeds that have a very slightly different taper, and a slightly more elastic bit of cane. Thinner toward the business end, and a bit more rubbery cane. For me the next experiment would be to slightly thin the area in the second third of the cane above the hemp winding, on one of the reeds that doesn't make High B, and compare it with one that does. Best of luck with this, and I'd like to hear more.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

I might kill a few reeds in the process, but we'll see how it goes
Old 04-24-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
Larry Samuels
Forum Regular

Just curious if anyone has a recording of a tune with High B on the GHB to share? The one time I tried it, I could get a high B, but the pressure increase needed was so great, the following note(s) were out of tune (till pressure was back to normal). I've always wondered if it's practical to play in performance because of that.

Any recordings would be very interesting! and thanks.

Larry
Larry Samuels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #8
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I don't play tunes with high b, but I experimented a little for fun. I was using Abadour reeds and they seemed to work well.