Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
Robert Pekaar
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Robert Pekaar
Default Bagpipe Music Index corrections - Help

I've just finished updating the index. Over the years there have been 5 errors in the 33,000 entries, mostly omissions. These have been corrected. Today I decided to proof the listings (Quite boring). I found 2 minor errors- one record with no data and one with just the letter "a". These were both corrected. However, there were 3 entries from Duncan Johnstone's book (#345) on page 32 that contained jumbled capital letters just in the title field. Since I no longer have my copy, I wonder if one of you could give me the titles so I can forward a corrected data base to Patrick McLaurin and Jim Scott.
Thanks in advance.
Bob Pekaar
Old 04-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bagpipe Music Index Corrections-Help

Hi Robert,

I don't have the book in front of me but are the tunes called something like FAGED and DEFGA? If yes, I think those are the actual titles. There are three wee tunes on a page and each is a "one handed" tune. The titles indicate the notes in the tune (the above two, if I recalled the names correctly are top hand tunes).

I will try to look this up tonight to confirm.

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bagpipe Music Index corrections - Help

Kevin is right - it's presented as a single piece with March, Strathspey and Reel sections, rather than as three separate tunes, and the title is given as AGFED/DEFGA/FAGED
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Robert Pekaar
Forum Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Robert Pekaar

Thanks guys; I thought I got hit with a virus. I'll leave things as they are. With so much data I felt my chances of error were pretty high and when I saw this I was sure it was wrong.Please confirm, I'll sleep better tonight.
Bob Pekaar
Old 04-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #5
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hi Robert,

Please consider this confirmed. I am looking at "His Complete Compositions" right now. In the TOC under marches it lists AGFED on page 32. There is no similar entry in the TOC for Strathspeys or Reels but on page 32, the tune title is AGFED/DEFGA/FAGED. Four lines of 6/8 march (with slightly different ending repeat), four lines of Strathspey (the first two the same) and two lines of reel (both repeated).

Best regards,
Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote