Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Drumming > Side / Snare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Side / Snare Pipe Bands or Solo - if it relates to Drumming...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-27-2019, 04:16 AM   #1
BillS1
Forum Regular

Default Which drum to buy

The band is ready to replace our older drums. We currently have a blend of Premier HTS 700 and 350 drums- purchased the 350’s for our older drummers.
Spot checked what was being used at the Greenville Games and Andante seems to,be the drum of choice today. Noted there were a few half size Andante drums as well. Am wondering if there is really much difference in weights- most weight would seem to be in the hardware, not the shell. Also- do half size drums blend well with full,size. Any thoughts?
BillS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-27-2019, 04:25 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Which drum to buy

I looked into this 10 yrs ago...regarding Premier Drums.

Here is the response I received from a top rep at Premier :

The weight of the HTS800 is approx 7.1 Kg and HTS400 6.4 Kg. In addition to this the higher centre of gravity when carrying the shorter drum makes a noticeable difference to the ‘perceived’ weight. Whenever I am asked about drum weights I also try to remind people of the related issues of good posture, good quality and correctly set up carriers, suitable practice schedule and the range of stands we manufacture to allow periods of practice without having to carry the drum.“

Andante info may be relatively similar. You could ask them. I think other points made are noteworthy.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
Shugdrum
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Which drum to buy

Having been in a band which had both full and half size Andante drums I can tell you the weight is pretty much the same and they do blend okay with full size drums. The main advantage we found with the half size drums are they are easier to march with for kids. Hope this helps
Shugdrum is offline   Reply With Quote