Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-16-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Molasses4masses
Forum Regular

Default Grade 1 versus Open piping

I had a thought today and itís a question Iím asking out of ignorance. Thereís a good piper I watched who won a lot last year in Grade 1. In fact I think they placed first in every event I saw them play in. They made the move up to Open piping this year (as should be the case) and immediately started placing last or close to the bottom.

My questions are as follows:

1) Is there a difference in judging that would cause this shift?
2) Is there a judging bias (for example: you have to earn your stripes for a couple of years before you can get in the prizes)?
Molasses4masses is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Grade 1 versus Open piping

My guess would just be that the competition is tougher, because the players are better.
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
Aaron Shaw
Forum Regular

I'd also guess the tune submission requirements call for more tunes in each discipline and they may not all be up to snuff just yet.
Aaron Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:36 AM   #4
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Over your side of the water "Open" is a very big grade. Once you enter that grade you're usually climbing onto the boards after the best America and Canada have to offer. It would take even the best G1 player a while to break into that I think.

In the UK after G1 you would play in Grade C, working your way upwards as you improved and won. This is also sometimes classed as "open", it's just a slightly more structured approach. Some games hold open competitions where all grades compete together. In those cases, newly promoted "G1 winner" could be following Angus Macoll, Willie Macallum and Donald Macphee onto the boards. Even on a good day....well, you get the picture.

On the plus side, your American/Canadian "Open" grade player has the excitement of that first mention in the prize list to look forward to.
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:12 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

As you climb the grades, the populations become more stable. So everyone at the open level has been there a while and knows the game inside out. It's harder to move up, even though the differences are smaller. In the lower grades, as long as you are actually improving, you'll be the best sooner or later.

As for time-serving, well, I don't think it's a conscious thing, but there may indeed be an unconscious bias. The Willie MacCallums of this world do walk onto the stage with an assumption they will do well - but they also have to bear it out every single time.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #6
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescottygirl

Once you enter that grade you're usually climbing onto the boards after the best America and Canada have to offer.

It would take even the best G1 player a while to break into that I think.

Greetings to All,

Bluescottygirl has th' right of it.

Most usually...when ever entering a new... and a
Higher Arena... there follow along... some (possibly
new :) ...pesky Little Gremlins... in our cases... and
along for the ride... :)

As is always... best overcome by wielding... The Great
Hammer of Practice...

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 04-17-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
Andrew Lenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
My guess would just be that the competition is tougher, because the players are better.
Ditto. When you move properly from one grade to the next, you'll move from the top of the food chain to the bottom of the food chain. That's normal.

I say "properly", because if you sandbag and don't move up when you should simply to continue to win medals, then you may find yourself in the middle of the pack or even winning when you move up to the next grade.

Now, might there be some "earn your stripes" factor in the judging? It's possible. Music can be very subjective at times. It's one thing to crush a doubling. It's another to consistently play a note a shade longer than the specific judge happens to like and he dings you for expression. With very rare exceptions, judges want you to play well, they aren't "out to get you".

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote