Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Old 11-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
Jon Snow
Forum Gold Medal

Default Equipment for video recording?

What are folks using to record video for virtual competitions?

I've been trying to use my phone, which seemed pretty good at first, but I kept hearing some wavering in the audio. I thought it might be me, but after recording a tune on three different devices simultaneously, it turns out it's the phone. I suspect some automatic gain control wierdness. Happens with or without an external microphone.

I have a still camera that does do video, but the audio is poor (but at least steady). Looking for other options.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Equipment for video recording?

I use my phone, and seem to get very good results ... but with some adjustments/tweaks. Im an iPhone user, but Im sure there are comparable Android thingamawhatsits you can use.

A good example of my results would be the video sample on my website here:
http://www.nate-silva.com/pppiper/performing-samples/

I used the same sort of set up Id do for competitions, except here, I used both my regular phone (which was also the one recording the intended audio) and my old iPhone recording a 2nd view angle (low to the ground). I matched the two video captures later in Adobe Premiere, and then faded from one to the other as I felt it was best, in order to make the samples a little more interesting.

Anyway, I use USB-powered microphone that plugs into my iPhone via an adapter. I think this is the mic I use:
https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgFEDM&adurl=

And with the recording on the phone, I use an app called MoviePro. Works very nicely and most notably, one is able to control to mic level manually as long as youre using an external mic.

And when editing in Premiere, I will do some minor sound editing as needed. When I do my comp videos, thats usually indoors in my storage unit (my only option apart from outside). So the captured sound in there is pretty harsh in raw from. Adding some gentle reverb really does wonders in smoothing out the sound.

For the outdoor samples on my site, I added some bass eq and such, as the drones didnt pickup as well as Id have liked ... plus it was a bit windy, so I needed to edit that out at times with a high pass effect. That high pass also cuts down the bass drone a bit, so I had to do more eq edits to get that back somewhat. Next time I should think about getting a wind cover for the mic.

Anyway, hope that helps. I never get the issue youre describing ..: my guess is the use of MoviePro and an external mic makes the difference there.

Hope this helps. Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

It may be worth trying an external microphone- there are quite a few to choose from, some will connect to your headphone jack, some connect otherwise. Might improve the audio through your phone...
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Jon, on my iPhone if I use an external mic through the lightning port all weirdness goes away. What type of phone do you have? What type of mic are you plugging in?
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
Jon Snow
Forum Gold Medal

Here's an example of what I'm getting. Apologies for the choke at the start.

Recording with my phone, Samsung S20FE. Volume fluctuations are clearly audible. This is with the internal microphone, but I've had the same results with an external mic through the USB port.

Video

Simultaneous audio recording of the same performance made with my (rather elderly) Zoom H2. No volume fluctuations.

Audio
Old 11-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
Jon Snow
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Jon, on my iPhone if I use an external mic through the lightning port all weirdness goes away. What type of phone do you have? What type of mic are you plugging in?

I have a Samsung S20FE. I am getting the same fluctuations using the internal mic, as well as a Zoom H2 as an internal mic through the USB port.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
Jon Snow
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggyMcPipes View Post
It may be worth trying an external microphone- there are quite a few to choose from, some will connect to your headphone jack, some connect otherwise. Might improve the audio through your phone...

Yes, I've tried that. It does improve the quality slightly, although the internal mic is really pretty good. Both have the volume fluctuations though.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
Jon Snow
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
And with the recording on the phone, I use an app called MoviePro. Works very nicely and most notably, one is able to control to mic level manually as long as youre using an external mic.
This is what I need. I haven't found it yet for Android. Even a switch to turn off automatic gain control would probably work. Some audio recording apps have this, but I haven't found a video app yet.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #9
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
Yes, I've tried that. It does improve the quality slightly, although the internal mic is really pretty good. Both have the volume fluctuations though.
I see... My next suggestion was going to be precisely trying something like the H2N, but I see you already have... darn... I wish you all the luck, and I'll follow this thread hoping to see a good solution soon!
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #10
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

What I hear just a few times in the video is slight attenuation lasting very briefly with smooth transitions in and out. Nothing near as bad as native iPhone audio. Had you not mentioned it, I honestly would not have noticed.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote