Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Using the Braw Bagpipe Tuner to get your chanter in tune

Wanted to share my latest video on using the Braw Bagpipe Tuner to help tune your pipe chanter. I know a lot of folks struggle with their chanter tuning, so I wanted to share what I do these days to get my instrument setup and in tune. And I think we call agree it'd be a good thing if more folks were in tune when piping!

Also, I am in no way affiliated with the Braw Tuner folks, just think it's a great tuning app.

LINK: https://youtu.be/D0TjjqKR8T4

Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #2
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Using the Braw Bagpipe Tuner to get your chanter in tune

Cool video! I'm all for encouraging the use of the Braw tuner, which I think is the best thing that's come along for tuning pipe chanters, particularly in band situations. Hopefully Pipe Majors especially of lower-level bands will see your video.

Perhaps it's because I'm a visually-oriented person, but to me one of the Braw tuner's greatest assets is that it creates a map of the entire scale, so at a glance you can tell the person you're tuning "you're good, but take a wee bit of tape off your F" or "your whole upper hand is sharp" etc.

Rather than laboriously going from note to note with a needle tuner.

I'm for anything that speeds up the process of tuning a band!

Another great strength of the Braw tuner is, for some unknown reason, ignored and wasted by some users.

That's its ability to read the chanter notes while you have the piper play tunes naturally. As we all know a piper who is playing tunes will often blow differently than they would if asked to play up and down the scale. Their blowing is even more artificial when asked to hold one long note.

Why on earth do people tell a piper "hold Low A" and take a Braw tuner reading from that? How many lower-level pipers hold Low A at exactly the same pressure they use when playing tunes? Especially as the Braw tuner has the ability to read notes on the fly.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Using the Braw Bagpipe Tuner to get your chanter in tune

Thanks for another very useful video, Matt. I have been using the Braw tuner, but your video showed me a few new tricks.

I really appreciate your approach to these videos. It's refreshing how you simply present the information without bragging.