Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Old 11-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Roddy MacLeod launches “Hebridean” range of Pipes

pipesdrums.com/article/roddy-macleod-launches-extensive-new-line-of-pipes/

Made by David Naill & Co. no less which is nice to see them expanding their line.

Quote:
The Hebridean series includes instruments named after various islands on the Scotland west coast, each having a heavy influence on Highland piping, including MacLeod’s own Hebridean heritage. Prices range from £875 for the Raasay model to more than £2,500 for the Lewis model, which features full silver hand-engraved mounts.

MacLeod has expanded his website to allow pipers to order from him directly, customizing their selection to include bagcovers, type of bag, cords length of blowstick and chanter.
Interesting. So many good options now. Will be curious to hear these.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
Tucker Fleming
Forum Member

Default Re: Roddy MacLeod launches “Hebridean” range of Pipes

Drones sound beautiful on all recordings
Tucker Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
John Dally
Holy smoking keyboard!

It would be interesting to see how the different "endorsement" designs differ from each other and other designs in the manufacturers' line up in detail.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

They're sure beautiful and look nothing like Naills, but as he says have the old-school look of his vintage Lawries.

I wonder about the bore specs. Interesting that he says he had to change the bass specs. I used to have Lawries of about the same period and the bass was great. But he said the goal was to be able to use a range of modern synthetic reeds.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #5
Raibeart
Forum Member

The "Lewis" is mounted with 3 lbs. of silver! That's got to be a lot of money and I'm not sure how I feel about 3 extra lbs on my shoulder, but they look stunning!
Raibeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
uther
Forum Member

Those are some absolutley stunning looking bagpipes. Even on the non silver models I love the heavier engraving on the nickel than I see on a lot of other makers sets.
uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raibeart View Post
The "Lewis" is mounted with 3 lbs. of silver! That's got to be a lot of money and I'm not sure how I feel about 3 extra lbs on my shoulder, but they look stunning!
I shouldered a full-silver set of Naills once and no thanks.

Thing is, I know a couple pipers who have vintage full-silver sets that aren't any heavier than ordinary pipes, due to the projecting mounts being soldered together out of sheet silver, thus being hollow.

One guy's set had one projecting mount that had received a knock at some point, the seam had split and you could see how the mount had been fabricated.

About the Roddy MacLeod pipes, my favourites are the ones without silver. That imitation ivory looks so good! I would want a set with plain blackwood projecting mounts and imitation ivory rings, bushes, and ferrules. (No metal.)
Old 11-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
Those are some absolutley stunning looking bagpipes. Even on the non silver models I love the heavier engraving on the nickel than I see on a lot of other makers sets.
Yeah, me too. I hate that laser etched finish.

I like the Skye but my allegiance would prohibit me from purchasing them
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
uther
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post

I like the Skye but my allegiance would prohibit me from purchasing them
I think the 2 year warranty would make me hesitate, the McCallum 10 year warranty drew me to them when I got my set.
uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #10
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
They're sure beautiful and look nothing like Naills, but as he says have the old-school look of his vintage Lawries.

I wonder about the bore specs. Interesting that he says he had to change the bass specs. I used to have Lawries of about the same period and the bass was great. But he said the goal was to be able to use a range of modern synthetic reeds.
I've wondered about this in years past. The 1-2 Lawries of this vintage that I've come across I feel like did have finicky bass bores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raibeart View Post
Daaaaaaanng.. 3lbs! I did not notice this initially. Though to be fair I don't like silver on pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
I shouldered a full-silver set of Naills once and no thanks.

About the Roddy MacLeod pipes, my favourites are the ones without silver. That imitation ivory looks so good! I would want a set with plain blackwood projecting mounts and imitation ivory rings, bushes, and ferrules. (No metal.)
I hear you Richard, I ordered my most recent set of pipes this way for that reason. Simple and timeless I suppose. I like aluminum or stainless steel at times but the bling and weight of sterling silver has always felt kind of gaudy to me maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
Yeah, me too. I had hand engraving on my last set and there is no comparing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
I think the 2 year warranty would make me hesitate, the McCallum 10 year warranty drew me to them when I got my set.
The tone of McCallum and repeatability are what drew me in. But Kenny MacLeod and McCallum are so gracious and kind to work with. I wouldn't hesitate to own a Naill myself if I preferred their sound. Maybe now having a Lawrie copy I might be tempted.