Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Old 11-03-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
MichaelR.S.
Forum Regular

Default The GPB (Great Pakistani Bagpipes)

Here's kind of a funny article.
One would think that in all of Pakistan there would be at least ONE manufacturer that could make a QUALITY set of bagpipes for a reasonable price.
But whomever that is apparently remains a well-guarded state secret.

My soda got snorted back out my nose when I came to the park about how the Pakistani pipes are the SAME as the European ones... only cheaper.

You also have to laugh at the part where they say they like looking good rather than sounding good. That's paraphrased, but that's about it.

https://amp.thenationalnews.com/arts...rom%20%251%24s
Old 11-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
johnsog
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: The GPB (Great Pakistani Bagpipes)

I wonder what the camels think of all this? I will have to see if I can find a picture. I cringed when they mentioned the pipes are used by beginners who quickly (and thankfully!!) upgrade. A friend's husband bought her a set which she tried valiantly to learn to play but she never able to get much sound. On close inspection it was discovered all the wooden parts were riddled with tiny bug/worm holes!!
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #3
johnsog
Forum Silver Medal

Here is a link to a video of a camel-mounted bagpipe band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAi7dsv9SyA

I know a married couple who ride horses while playing the pipes. The training aspect of riding anything while playing is intriguing.

Back to the pipes, our pipe major plays a set of Pakistani pipes he bought many decades ago. They have served him well!! They look OK, sound good and are very tight!! He let me borrow them for a lengthy parade we marched in; they were so easy to play, I felt I could have played for another mile or two without effort. He lucked out on his set!!
johnsog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #4
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Pakistani-made bagpipes remain popular in the United States. I frequently run into folks playing them, and YouTube has quite a few videos of such. Last year there was a Pakistani bagpipe challenge on YouTube, the challenge being getting a set going.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelR.S. View Post
Here's kind of a funny article.
One would think that in all of Pakistan there would be at least ONE manufacturer that could make a QUALITY set of bagpipes for a reasonable price.
But whomever that is apparently remains a well-guarded state secret.

My soda got snorted back out my nose when I came to the park about how the Pakistani pipes are the SAME as the European ones... only cheaper.

You also have to laugh at the part where they say they like looking good rather than sounding good. That's paraphrased, but that's about it.

https://amp.thenationalnews.com/arts...rom%20%251%24s

Well I mean they are the same as Scottish ones if you don't grade on wood selection and quality, craftsmanship, and actual research and engineering (these days)

I imagine Pakistani pipes now are what some old Scottish artisan would make a few hundred or even a thousand years ago...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
jviss
Forum Member

Matt Willis did a two part video review of Pakistani pipes. In part two his conclusion was they couldn't be made to play properly.

$130 Pakistani Bagpipes + highland drones & chanter reeds. Can it be made playable?

Fast forward to 16:47 for the conclusion.
jviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #7
DNorwood
Forum Regular

From the video:

" A thirst for fame that seems lost upon the animals themselves"

I would add: "and debatably, the rest of the world".

On another note: I think some may be confusing MIME with those made in Pakistan.

As many can attest, back several years ago there were quite a few excellent sounding MIME bagpipes being sold out of Canada.
So good that even very respectable pipers were pleased.
DNorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #8
MichaelR.S.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post
On another note: I think some may be confusing MIME with those made in Pakistan.

As many can attest, back several years ago there were quite a few excellent sounding MIME bagpipes being sold out of Canada.
I don't doubt what you are saying, because as I said, you would think there would be at least ONE pipe maker in Pakistan (or the ME) that can do a job of it, but you NEVER hear about just WHO they are. At least I never have.

So therein is the question, does anybody know who that would be?

I think I'm going to try and contact the military attaches of the Pakistani and Indian consulates and ask them just who the official bagpipe maker is for their army.
Will LMAO if it turns out to be McCullum, Gibson or Dunbar et al.

Last edited by MichaelR.S.; 11-05-2020 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
MichaelR.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:25 AM   #9
AndrewLam
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNorwood View Post
From the video:

" A thirst for fame that seems lost upon the animals themselves"

I would add: "and debatably, the rest of the world".

What is all this MIME nonsense? Which bagpipe makers are you talking about. Presumably not Pakistan because it's in Asia and you mention it being confused with MIME, so which makers and where exactly?

I wish people would stop using all these silly abbreviations.
And for your information there have been some quality instruments in what is now Pakistan albeit from a time before Pakistan came into existence. Seen them, heard them and noted that they were made from a very heavy dark wood possibly African Blackwood/Ebony.

Perhaps you would call them AQIOPOMWTI

Alleged Quality Instruments of Pakistan or MIME Whatever That Is.
AndrewLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #10
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hi all,

They have top notch quality control and testing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujp6HmGTwTM

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote