Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums One of the largest message boards on the web ! bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Old 11-15-2020, 12:57 AM   #1
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default What are chanters worth?

Recently I've been making some long term changes to my setup. Maybe by the time one of those "What's your 20201 setup" threads rolls around soon I'll have things dialed finally.

As I purchase and sell various bits to get to where I'm going, it got me thinking about costs of things and how some of it probably shouldn't be as inexpensive as it is. While other things are quite expensive for not much effort or good reason other than "they just are" (I'm looking at you blowpipes).

It got me thinking, what about more important pieces on the Pipes that you don't want to necessarily go less expensive on. Aside from the drones and bag, what are chanters really worth to each of us?

I don't mean to ask what the going rates are (they seem pretty consistent at around $120-$220 for plastic and $220-$400 for wood I think). I'm wondering what price you'd like to pay, or feel best about paying, if you didn't know what chanters were priced at.

Myself, I typically feel comfortable with a chanter purchase when it is around $130 for plastic or $225 for wood. When they grow significantly north from there I start asking myself if I really want this chanter or if it's worth it in the end. Interesting food for thought.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:50 AM   #2
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: What are chanters worth?

Considering the price of new chanters these days, I'd say they are on the cheap side.

The last chanter I bought was an early Shepherd Mk3 for 195(ish, memory failing me a bit) , and today almost 20 years later they are only 35 more expensive. Most stuff from 2000ish 2x that price. Put it this way, the price of a pint (the No1 pipers price guage) in 2000 was about 1.90, now you'd struggle to get a pint for less than 4.

Some other brands are a bit pricier up to a heady 270.

I suppose it's a question of, will spending the extra 40 make me 4x better? Or, 0.4x better. It all comes down to branding/desirability mostly.

Last edited by Mac an t-Sealgair; 11-15-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:34 AM   #3
uther
Forum Member

I've just spent 265 on a Henderson abw chanter (not the Infinity), it was definitely a case of 'want' more than need in my case.
I've quite happily played poly chanters up to now, and I seriously doubt my playing will sound any better with the abw one.
It is beautiful though...

Last edited by uther; 11-15-2020 at 03:37 AM.
uther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

A good question!!... and leaving aside... such about
vintage chanters... when any are searching for that
"blend of sound"... that sometimes so besets...
Old 11-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
Considering the price of new chanters these days, I'd say they are on the cheap side.

The last chanter I bought was an early Shepherd Mk3 for 195(ish, memory failing me a bit) , and today almost 20 years later they are only 35 more expensive. Most stuff from 2000ish 2x that price. Put it this way, the price of a pint (the No1 pipers price guage) in 2000 was about 1.90, now you'd struggle to get a pint for less than 4.

Some other brands are a bit pricier up to a heady 270.

I suppose it's a question of, will spending the extra 40 make me 4x better? Or, 0.4x better. It all comes down to branding/desirability mostly.
Mac I always appreciate your take on things and this is an interesting point you make. The two chanters I now own are abw and were purchased new. One is the same Mk3 that you have, the "classic", and the other a Colin Kyo. These were well above what I felt comfortable with and I considered purchasing used, but in the end I ordered these new to support the businesses that I appreciate.

270 is certainly heady. One of my chanters was $280US/215/$370CAD and the other is the heady $360US/270/$470CAD. This is before shipping and taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
I've just spent 265 on a Henderson abw chanter (not the Infinity), it was definitely a case of 'want' more than need in my case.
I've quite happily played poly chanters up to now, and I seriously doubt my playing will sound any better with the abw one.
It is beautiful though...
This is more or less what I have done as well. Played poly for a couple of years, decided I had "graduated" to going with wood from then on. The modern P. Henderson was one of those and is such a great chanter (I wish its hole spacing worked out better for me). Wood pipes and chanters do look fantastic, they're all different visually. And on chanters the wood doesn't get very hot or very cold where plastic can under the fingers depending on the environment. There's kind of a softness to wood. I'm not certain this carries over to tone though.

I'm feeling the opposite direction now where I don't think my playing and setup will make a difference either way. I have a keen ear and in the past I feel like I have successfully picked out wood from plastic chanters in blind listening auditions, but I'm beginning to question this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip01 View Post
A good question!!... and leaving aside... such about
vintage chanters... when any are searching for that
"blend of sound"... that sometimes so besets...
It does indeed at times. It was hard for me to purchase such an expensive chanter like the Kyo, but it does sound fantastic. But so many people simply compete with their poly band chanter and they sound fine too, so it's hard to gauge what really matters to me. More and more I feel like I need less expensive gear and more technique because so many options are great these days that it's all how you wield it (and I'd rather not deal with accidental cracking in a pipe case or otherwise).
Old 11-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Highland chanters cost a fraction of what uilleann chanters do (even without keys), nominally $1k. We are most lucky they are at the prices they are at now!
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #7
William McKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

$1000 for essentially a conical tube with holes.. this is one of the aspects that stopped me from getting into uilleann pipes.

They sounds breathtaking. Then you want them and realize there is either David Daye for reasonable prices but utilitarian or a handful of artisans who take years and charge half the cost of a used vehicle. It's unfortunate they are so niche and not all around the world like Highland pipes. Perhaps McCallum will bring some change with Fred Morrison's versions.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:47 AM   #8
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

As far as prices go, I think it's a case of 100 for a wooden tube with holes, 900 to have the holes in the right place. They're expensive, yes, but considering the level of knowledge and experience that must go into making a good one they are reasonable. They are handmade items, they do not come off a production line as GHB chanters do.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote