Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
RonSchlie
Forum Regular

Default Pipers Gathering, Christopher Layer, The Push Boat Song

Those who attended this years Pipers Gathering were entertained by piper Christopher Layer who performed a wonderful vocal/pipe tune named "The Push Boat Song". A week or so after we got home I wondered if I could find the music to this tune on the internet. I was able to find the words, but unable to locate any dots. Being the amateur musician that I am I was able to figure out the chords to play and sing the verses on my SSPs but I wish I could find 8 or more measures of melody to break the tune up. Chris's version of this tune was much saltier than the version I found. A video of Chris performing this tune is presently on the Pipers Gathering website.
Have any of you ever seen music for this tune? If not I will have my friend/instructor help me figure it out.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
Pete Stewart
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Pipers Gathering, Christopher Layer, The Push Boat Song

I can't find the link you mention; can you post it?
Pete Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
Steve Bliven
Forum Silver Medal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r7_OLdBT8

You can also see this and other performances from the 2017 Pipers Gathering on the Gathering's web page http://www.pipersgathering.org/
although you'll have to scroll around a bit..

Best wishes.

Steve
Old 09-04-2017, 03:39 AM   #4
Pete Stewart
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSchlie View Post
I wish I could find 8 or more measures of melody to break the tune up.
It would be tricky to transcribe exactly what Chris is doing with the song, but there's moments in the video where you can 'get the tune off his fingers'. Right at the beginning and around 1.30 for the 'chorus' and most of the tune at 3.49.
It's an old traditional way of teaching a tune, by-pass the notation altogether
Pete Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
RonSchlie
Forum Regular

Pete,
Thanks for the timing! I also noted there was some sections I could watch and pull the notes out (all I need is the simple melody).
For 10 years now I have been a poor student of learning by sight and ear. Over the years my instructor has repeatedly tried to teach me how, but I become very frustrated and give up. I want to play at the sessions that form at The Pipers Gathering but my mind just doesn't seem work that way I envy those that can!
I turn 65 in two weeks and over the years I've learned my limitations. I'll just enjoy what gifts I have
Old 09-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
RonSchlie
Forum Regular

Met with my instructor today and played The Push Boat Song for him using the cords only. I then had him listen to a recording of Chris performing his version of the tune at the Gathering. To my amazement he started playing the melody with variations after listening to the video only once. What a gift he has! We must have played the tunes 8 times with different variations until we had it together. WOW!
We're going to practice together a few more times and then take Push Boat and two other tunes on the road at local open mic. venues!
This is going to be fun!!!!