Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #21
MikeNomad
Forum Regular

Default Re: 9000 Forum members

Thanks Bob and moderators as well. I always get frustrated when other subjects on the internet don't have sites like this one. This site is really well done in a common sense kind of way. Good organization with knowledgable, enthusiastic moderator oversight encouraging a climate of reasonably civil interaction. Enjoying the accessability BDF provides to piping informaton and news, I check in 2-3x a day as a learner/lurker. My other 8992 alternative log-in names/identities keep you hopping though right? Anyway, WELL DONE!
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #22
Alaytheia
Forum Regular

I am member #7308 - so that's 1692 registrations since I joined. Wow! Obviously not every one of those people has become active on here, or I wouldn't be getting familiar with a number of y'alls names and dispositions. As a beginning piper, I find it amazing that I stumbled across this incredible forum where I can come for help, advice, and fun. Thanks a lot Bob! (and to the moderators - the job you do is simply amazing! It takes a lot of work and dedication to keep this place humming (droning?) along as smoothly as it does.)
Old 06-17-2006, 08:28 PM   #23
BJC97
Forum Silver Medal

"There's no shortage of people who either don't know, or don't know that they don't know.

"Every now and then there is a gem of intelligence and reason amongst all the garbage...

This forum has been an invaluable help in getting me started on the GHB. HOWEVER The above quotes illustrate, in my opinion, the one type of member that bothers me...self proclaimed experts that feel they're somehow "above it all", suggesting that some of us are just too frigging dumb to even know that we don't know, lol, and that our posts are "garbage" .

Ticks me off. But then, for every one of these self proclaimed experts, there are many true experts that realize the sometimes misguided enthusiasm of a novice, and go to all lengths to provide meaningful and helpful advice. To these, I tip my hat and say thank you, and thanks to Mr. Dunsire for providing this forum. I hope it continues to grow.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #24
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

Quote:
Originally posted by tynecastle:
9000 registered members maybe but only around 200 regular users.
Since this comment has resulted in a number of PMs and emails to me - I should share and explain the joke we're sharing (thanks for the laugh Stormy.. oops I mean tynecastle) -

A year or so ago I had to turn off a display of members and visitors on the site - every 5 minutes it updated with a real count of visitors active during that 5 minute period. Our 'record' was something around 275 or so (for 5 minutes [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif[/img] ) - and as I recall, it was uncommon to see the number under 150.
I loved the display, but as we continued to grow (and still do) the overhead for that display was just hurting our response times too much, so I had to remove it.

But - 150-200 every 5 minutes, with only 200 active people here :woohoo:
Old 06-18-2006, 02:23 AM   #25
AJF
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry Richards:
<span style="font-weight: bold"> "There's no shortage of people who either don't know, or don't know that they don't know.

"Every now and then there is a gem of intelligence and reason amongst all the garbage...

This forum has been an invaluable help in getting me started on the GHB. HOWEVER The above quotes illustrate, in my opinion, the one type of member that bothers me...self proclaimed experts that feel they're somehow "above it all", suggesting that some of us are just too frigging dumb to even know that we don't know, lol, and that our posts are "garbage" .

Ticks me off. But then, for every one of these self proclaimed experts, there are many true experts that realize the sometimes misguided enthusiasm of a novice, and go to all lengths to provide meaningful and helpful advice. To these, I tip my hat and say thank you, and thanks to Mr. Dunsire for providing this forum. I hope it continues to grow. </span>
Barry, you have been a tad sensitive here, and have misread my post as being a dig at you, or others who are seeking assistance. Certainly not the case.

Everyone starts from scratch, so I've been in your position and understand. You'll also note that I endeavour to help out where I can without professing to be the last word on anything.

There's a not-so-insignificant number of people, who really know nothing but continue to post self-promoting "garbage" (in some attempt to make themselves look better than they are), that cause the problems in the first place. Genuine enquiries have never been attacked, nor should they.

The mods are there to keep things civil, but they often overlook the ridiculous 'advice' so they are seen to be impartial. It's an open forum after all. But someone has to step in when blinding stupidity flares up, and there is a risk of this so called "advice" being followed to the letter by some unsuspecting person. This is because there is the potential for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars worth of damage being done to instruments.

Barry, one has to bear in mind that while you say this forum has been a great resource tool for you, it must be acknowledged that pipers have succeeded for many years without "the web". It is not the be-all end-all final word on all things to do with bagpipes. My advice is to enjoy but treat it with caution.

It is a public forum, where it is far too easy to conceal one's identity, credentials, experience (or lack of) etc etc. Many posts give away the scribe's level of experience and expertise but this may not be apparent to others, who are a bit 'green'.

Yes, Dunsire can be a good resource. It can also be a minefield. This is not about point scoring, or beating up those who are learning. It's about helping people to avoid unmitigated piping disasters because they may have placed their trust in a complete stranger, who knows zip.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #26
Curt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by AJF:
It's about helping people to avoid unmitigated piping disasters because they may have placed their trust in a complete stranger, who knows zip.
Hope you hang in there AJF. Many will try and chase you away as they have to other pipers that actually pipe at a high level. I enjoy your corrections of the pipers that really don't know what they are doing and are trying to give advise.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #27
John S. Foley
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'm one of the guys with the "meek social life".

Old 06-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #28
Rat Bast*rd.
Forum Regular

I'm not!

These forums as they appear to the public, are a testament to the constant sometimes not-so fun work done behind the scenes by Bob and the moderators.

Thanks to all of you!
Old 06-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #29
Alaytheia
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by AJF:
This is not about point scoring...
*stares dumbly* But... but... I thought..... *lip trembles*... and after all that work to get over 100 posts!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #30
Kent Argubright
Forum Clasp

Bob.....

What's the most hits the forums have gotten in a day?

That would be an interesting record to update on a regular basis.

I guess even Christmas has a Grinch....eh? TC?

Cheers,
Doc