Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #1
Rob MacNeil
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Tribute to Bob Dunsire in retirement from BCPA Webmaster position

On June 4, Bob Dunsire handed the reins of the BC Pipers' Association website to Ken MacKenzie and with that one of the most significant eras in the history of BCPA communications closes and a new era opens. I want to acknowledge the work Bob did for our Association, for it was as transformative as his other Internet piping initiatives.

In early 1999, I recommended to the BCPA Board of Directors that Bob be the Webmaster for the BCPA. At the time, the BCPA was lagging many pipe band associations by being one of the few without an Internet presense. Bob brought our Association into the Internet age with a perspective ahead of its time for pipe band associations. He set about to change our members perspectives on how and what information members would receive from and give to BCPA.

Bob recognized that competitions results were "news" and competitions/Highland Games were "visual events". He knew that people wanted current news and wanted it promptly. He knew people wanted to see images of the events they participated in and for those who couldn't attend, a flavour of what it was like to be there. He also understood the typical Internet dial-up user, who wanted content displayed quickly, not an hourglass on screen as a site loaded. And he recognized that members wanted to interact with the Association online the same way they did with commercial businesses.

To realize his vision, Bob and I set a standard to meet: Get the results and pictures of BCPA sanctioned competitions up on the BCPA website within one day of the competition ending. With his love of photography, Bob would capture the images of the day and my need to gather the results for the BCPA Grading Committee led me to record the day's results.

We worked as a great team however we also treated it like a race, i.e. who could get their part done first. Bob would have to get the appropriate set of pictures downloaded (or in his pre-digital camera days, his film developed at a l hour photo place and then pictures scanned), resized and the webpage built and mounted, while I would have to enter the results into text/database files, cross-check them for transcription accuracy, confirm correct spellings and email them to him). Bob almost always won but when I did, I put a note in the email to him with the results saying "Beat ya!". We always had a good laugh about those times because it never was Bob or I who won but our members, as they received the fastest accurate information and images we could deliver them.

There also were many times when Bob was "on guard" waiting for entry forms, orders of play, competition schedules, etc from BCPA or Highland Games competition officials and within minutes of receipt they were up on the BCPA website. He knew the time sensitive nature of this information and its value to members and he repeatedly delivered.

Finally, in a pioneering initiative, Bob implemented the online payment system (first through PayPal and next with SPORG) whereby any BCPA payment activity (membership, event entry, tickets, merchandise, etc) can be done online via credit card payment. He was very proud to make the BCPA the first (and still the only) pipe band association in the world to offer online payment for all its services.

It was very gratifying to Bob to receive many emails from members and compliments at competitions on how the BCPA website was providing prompt posting of competition results and pictures and on-line payment methods for competition entries. They were the most important acknowledgements of the value of the services he sought to deliver to BCPA members.

The BCPA Board of Directors is very thankful for the service Bob gave to our Association and its members. He exemplifies how great volunteers can transform organizations to better meet their mission, to serve members in ways they appreciate, and to make members proud of the work of their Association.

For all his service, Bob Dunsire will now be "BCPA Webmaster Emeritus".

From all BCPA members, thank you very much Bob.

Rob MacNeil
President
BC Pipers' Association
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-19-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
little squirel
Forum Member

Default Re: Tribute to Bob Dunsire in retirement from BCPA Webmaster position

It seems quite simple to me Bob, "you rock!"

The world is a smaller place thanks to you. God bless you & yours Mr Dunsire!!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Tartaniac
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hear! Hear! Awesome.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
Angus MacDonald
Forum Silver Medal

Dittos Rob,
It could not be more eloquently put!
Cheers to Bob!

You the Man

Angus MacDonald & Maureen Lee
THE TARTAN THISTLE
http://www.tartanthistle.com
bagpipes@tartanthistle.com
Toll Free Order Line 1-888-888-9002
Old 06-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Bob
Founder

1953 - 2006

Wow. Thanks!

It was truly a pleasure, and an honour. And, great timing - that I was here, interested and available, at a time when there was an opportunity and the support from within the Association - I am a lucky guy ...

As I mentioned on the Home page of the BCPipers site - I could not, would not, have done it without the help and support of so many others, and I want to single out Rob MacNeil (the 'secret weapon' of so many good piping things here in the Pacific Northwest) - as all of us here (BCPA-land) know, he is truly a tireless supporter of .... all things piping.

I am very proud to have been a part of the BCPA, and I am very pleased to have been able to help. That so much time passed, so quickly - really amazing.

Look what happens to 'spare time' :woohoo:

Old 06-20-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
"I am very proud to have been a part of the BCPA"
Hey, Bob: May I have the audacity to correct one small part of your statement and turn "have been" to "be"?

Preferring the present, and future, tense to the past, I doubt that any would argue that you ARE a part of BCPA, as you ARE a significant part of the piping and drumming (should I add dancing, historical and other?) community in the NW and worldwide! ). Seriously, it's nice to have Ken step in.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
scarhandpiper
Forum Silver Medal

You rock, Bob!