Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
Andrew Lenz

Default Bagpipes in a silent decline?

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinio...ment-1-5066992

Thoughts?

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Bagpipes in a silent decline?

Greetings, Andrew, and to All,

Hmm... the title seems to be a bit of a
misnomer... in that it speaks of "decline"
but the article would seem to imply that
the state of the numbers of students is
more than just healthy... in that 6,000
are now enrolled... and many thousands
more would like the chance!! :)

This kind of "decline"... we could all
stand!! :)

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 12-27-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

The article is rather unclear; even a bit confusing. That said, we know that, we who've been around long enough know that interest, influx (outflux) of students, etc., waxes and wanes...I guess "cycles" might be the word.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
The article is rather unclear; even a bit confusing. That said, we know that, we who've been around long enough know that interest, influx (outflux) of students, etc., waxes and wanes...I guess "cycles" might be the word.
I wonder how many bands saw an increase in interest after Braveheart? I did get a kick out of the phrase "silent" decline - not a word I ever associated with the bagpipes.
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:34 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
I contend the shrinking world has an increased density of Pipers than pre-internet days...and a likely plethora of incremental drummers.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquusRacer View Post
I think it's more to do with the reduced funding for music in Scottish schools which is being sliced like doner meat. Not everyone (depends on area) can access state funded tuition, meaning potential players don't have the chance to pursue piping/music.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

There is a marked dichotomy here, between owner-inflators, and music students (no matter how new and basic). The Montgolfier brothers certainly claimed no MacCrimmon inheritance. A gold medalist once wrote something to the effect that he had never seen so many talented young pipers as today, or so many dreadful older ones.

Maybe not so much decline, as both suffering from democratization, becoming more sport than art for many. Yet benefiting from teaching and workshops and longer summer schools, for the good. And more public recitals.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
There is a marked dichotomy here, between owner-inflators, and music students (no matter how new and basic). The Montgolfier brothers certainly claimed no MacCrimmon inheritance. A gold medalist once wrote something to the effect that he had never seen so many talented young pipers as today, or so many dreadful older ones.

Maybe not so much decline, as both suffering from democratization, becoming more sport than art for many. Yet benefiting from teaching and workshops and longer summer schools, for the good. And more public recitals.
Not sure what you're on about? Did you read the article?

https://pipingpress.com/2019/01/24/m...-wake-up-call/
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
I think it's more to do with the reduced funding for music in Scottish schools which is being sliced like doner meat. Not everyone (depends on area) can access state funded tuition, meaning potential players don't have the chance to pursue piping/music.
Thanks, Mac. That puts some sense in it. Over here, we have different dynamics, for the most part (although there are some high schools and colleges with pipe bands, though rare on the wider scene).

In our region in the NW US and Western Canada, we've had a number of successful youth bands. Some are still going, others more or less turned into adult bands. There are piping/drumming/etc. "schools", e.g., "CAF Winter School", Piping Hot Summer, etc., though some others have disappeared. Most bands around are self-funded, non-profit groups; and costs for instruments, lessons, schools are individually borne.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Up in my neck of the woods, we're starting to see a "great contraction." The older generation is retiring or passing away, leaving few or no members in some of the local bands (or none who can play a bit). That's leaving some - but not all - of the groups in distress.