Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
shane333
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Which Drone Reeds for McCallum P4

I'm about 3 months away from purchasing my first set of bagpipes and have decided on McCallum P4 with a Canmore hybrid bag. McCallum suggested that the following drone reed brands work well in their pipes; MG, EzeeDrone, Canning, Kinnaird and Crozier. My question to you is, which would be best for a beginner? Thanks in advance!
shane333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Which Drone Reeds for McCallum P4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane333 View Post
I'm about 3 months away from purchasing my first set of bagpipes and have decided on McCallum P4 with a Canmore hybrid bag. McCallum suggested that the following drone reed brands work well in their pipes; MG, EzeeDrone, Canning, Kinnaird and Crozier. My question to you is, which would be best for a beginner? Thanks in advance!
Great choice on the pipes. For the reeds all noted are swell...but Iíd strongly suggest go to the head of the class with MG WHITE MAMBA reeds

....they are very very very solid and smooth. Did I mention very?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:43 AM   #3
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Ezee is a typical choice but Iíd say Kinnairdís new Edge reeds... theyíre adjustable so you can control not only tone, but air consumption.

All of those choices youíve listed should work well, choose one you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yeah, I would normally would also say "go with your preference" ... but seeing as you're new, I would say that it's fair to assume you don't have a preference.

It's great if you can get your hands on a whole of different reed types, and then take your pick, but that can get expensive.

Personally, I think Ezee-drones are becoming so ubiquitous, that it's rather helpful to have experience using them early on. Whatever you choose though, so long as it functions correctly, stick-em in and then stick with'em, for at least a good year or so. Get a feel for how it sounds, and then, if you feel like it, look to experiment with others.

That's my 2Ę. Have fun.

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Did you ask your instructor for their thoughts? While any instructor worth their salt should be able to help you set up any reed, yours will probably have preferences on what kind to use.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have Kinnaird reeds in mine.

I like them because they're really reliable.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #7
TangoCharlie
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Shane I have a set of McCallum P4's and have tried several drone reed combinations including:
  • Ezeedrones
  • Cannings
  • Redwood
  • Croziers
  • Kinnaird Evolution
  • Kinnaird Edge
I like both the Cannings and Kinnaird Edge. I have the Kinnaird Edge installed at the moment. They are very easy to adjust and seem to consume less air. I like the tone and they are easy to strike in.
You will definitely need a drying system in your P4's. I use a Ross bag and drying system. Playing at lunchtime today I had trouble with my Bass cutting out and I found the reed was wet, the hose for the bass drone had become detached from the drying canister.
TangoCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #8
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

I believe the point of Kinnaird's Edge reed is that you aren't changing its fundamental output (tone in our world); you're adjusting its strength only.

IE most every drone reed including cane you are moving the bridle to adjust the amount the tongue lifts off the body of the reed. This changes the amount of air that is passing through it which is the intended effect so that it's shutting off just above your desired playing pressure. But, this moving of the bridle also has a negative side effect of lengthening or shortening the tongue changing the reeds' speed at which it vibrates, Hz, up or down (from its ideal fundamental frequency).

In essence there is a natural resonance of the reed body which ideally should be matched to the tongue so that when played as a whole the drone reed is operating at its resonance which is roughly x4 greater output. This also means they are very efficient as they are playing at their mechanically speaking 'easiest' effort because a little bit of vibration goes a long way in terms of resonance (and thus output).

This is also why Rocket Reeds were all the rage. Mark designed them to the bore of the pipe you had and to your playing pressure and thus these reeds played very robustly and very efficiently because the tongues were matched to the bodies to resonate at a specific fundamnetal. What Kinnaird has done with the Edge reeds is taken the best of both worlds where the reed is balanced to itself for resonance yet you can still change the amount of lift of the reed tongue thereby changing the threshold of pressure before the reed shuts off. This also means it can be better matched to a variety of pipes and not a relative "one off" for a specific playing pressure in a specific bore (which will have its own resonance). Not to say one Rocket Reed won't play well in another set of pipes, just that it was weighted around a specific set.

Hope this isn't sounding condescending, just a little background knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
Ezee is a typical choice but Iíd say Kinnairdís new Edge reeds... theyíre adjustable so you can control not only tone, but air consumption.

All of those choices youíve listed should work well, choose one you like.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #9
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
I believe the point of Kinnaird's Edge reed is that you aren't changing its fundamental output (tone in our world); you're adjusting its strength only.

IE most every drone reed including cane you are moving the bridle to adjust the amount the tongue lifts off the body of the reed. This changes the amount of air that is passing through it which is the intended effect so that it's shutting off just above your desired playing pressure. )
Two reeds that allow independent adjustment are Crozier Omega and Highland Reeds.

I should have mentioned that the Kinnaird reeds I have in my McCallum pipes are the original Kinnaird reeds (purchased about 10 years ago).
Old 05-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

I recently bought and installed the edge reeds and Iím very happy.

You have the typical tuning pin height control as well as the air intake for optimal air efficiency...

Itís rather slick and Iím doubting Iíll be changing them any time soon.

The sound at first play was quite growls and they were tough to start until I got used to them (about 15 minutes)...

After a few minor adjustments Iíve got them tuning where I want on the pins, and sounding how I want.

I played an original Kinnaird bass and ezee tenors for years...

DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote