Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
Terrahawk
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default ABW Chanter rework

My tutor has asked me to find out if there are services that would look at an ABW chanter that now squeals on birls. He feels that perhaps the neck has shrunk with age and it might need a touch-up. He has taken a brush to it and worked with it to his abilities. It is a classic ABW chanter and my understanding is this has developed in the last year or so. A buddy of mine had some vintage pipes restored in B.C., and that business has since been taken over by one of the Lee sons. This chanter is one of a group picked out by him, Donald MacPherson, and his brother Ian MacPherson, I'm told, and he took the 3rd best out of a group presented to some great players. He tells me the maker was Greg Sharp. This is likely from the 1970s? The rest of the chanter function appears to be intact and sweet-sounding.

Thank you all in advance for any help and information.
Terrahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: ABW Chanter rework

I have never heard of a chanter squealing because of a birl. Surely there is something else going on?

Are you prepending it with a G gracenote perhaps?

Is your ring finger sliding off the hole during the movement?

Are you overblowing and the low G is gurgling?

Got a video demonstrating the problem?
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

If I understand this...your chanter is sometimes chirping or squealing when playing down to LA from HG ..

I had a similar mysterious situation about 2 yrs ago with a early ‘00’s Naill abw chanter that had been sitting unplayed in a drawer for 7-8 years. It didn’t chirp prior.
On advice from Martin Cowall at Naill I swabbed the throat well with bore oil and let it sit for about 3 weeks in a closed up paper bag. Then I started to play it steadily for an hour or so over a few weeks time giving it a day or two rest each time. Longer story made short...the chirping/squealing ‘ mysteriously ‘ ceased. ..moreso after fitting a ca 30” strength reed up from a 27/28” reed . Patrick might be on track asking if your reed is too light...gurgling on LG.
The chanter sounds marvelous now.

Last edited by el gaitero; 04-25-2019 at 02:40 PM.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #4
Terrahawk
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
If I understand this...your chanter is sometimes chirping or squealing when playing down to LA from HG ..

I had a similar mysterious situation about 2 yrs ago with a early ‘00’s Naill abw chanter that had been sitting unplayed in a drawer for 7-8 years. It didn’t chirp prior.
On advice from Martin Cowall at Naill I swabbed the throat well with bore oil and let it sit for about 3 weeks in a closed up paper bag. Then I started to play it steadily for an hour or so over a few weeks time giving it a day or two rest each time. Longer story made short...the chirping/squealing ‘ mysteriously ‘ ceased. ..moreso after fitting a ca 30” strength reed up from a 27/28” reed . Patrick might be on track asking if your reed is too light...gurgling on LG.
The chanter sounds marvelous now.
I'm passing this along to him. Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure what he's doing when it chirps. He's an older gent and doesn't play reeds that take as much pressure as when he used to play with Muirhead & Sons way back in the day. I haven't heard him play it, but will certainly pass this advice on to him. All suggestions are appreciated.
Terrahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
celticmanone
Forum Silver Medal

Also, too much tape on HiG can cause a chirp sometimes to LoA. Tape on more than the top third of the hole, if your playing a HiG grace note to make it a ‘big birl’, could be the issue.

Last edited by celticmanone; 05-14-2019 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Proof reading
celticmanone is offline   Reply With Quote