Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-06-2019, 08:20 PM   #11
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Pinkie Finger Down for Quick C?

An Open C is not false fingering. Take it up with PM John Wilson of Edinburgh and Toronto.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-07-2019, 03:34 AM   #12
thevoidboy
Forum Member

An Open C is an Open C. Nothing false about it. Though modern chanters tend toward different pitches.

But at speeds or with tunes the OP is talking about, no one can hear it. And itís all about the music!

For that reason, I no longer play a pibroch high G. Once upon a time, chanters either needed that fingering, or sounded fine whether they needed it or not. Not any more. A nice Open G has far better tone and harmonics in a Pibroch. Try it (after tuning) and see.

Again: itís all about the music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thevoidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #13
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Personally, I'd be striving for a closed C. However in a band setting unison is the key, so if you are struggling in that respect a cheeky open C won't matter a jot. But in my own time I'd be practicing practicing practicing to make the closed C.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:10 AM   #14
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoidboy View Post
And itís all about the music!

A musical performance has three pillars: tone, technique, and music. They each depend on each other.

Now, in isolation, there's no reason at all to care about the fingering of the C, here or anywhere else.

But, to me, the beating heart of good bagpipe playing is a completely effortless, consistent, reliable technique that can do anything you want it to do, and do it the same way, every single time. That's what makes the Stuart Liddells and Gordon Duncans and Fred Morrisons such powerful players: they can throw any musical idea they like at their fingers, and it tumbles out with every gracenote in place, effortlessly.

If we are making compromises in our technique, then we don't have that utter reliability, and I think we lose something when we do it.

Getting this movement correct in this tune is a matter of moving no more than two fingers at a time in a certain order and learning to do so effectively is an excellent case study for the kinds of practice routines described in books such as that by Stephanie Burns.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #15
thevoidboy
Forum Member

It is funny how much ink is spilled over insignificant ďtechniqueĒ issues like this. I donít ever remember people going bananas over piano or violin fingering. I donít remember hearing people arguing over thumb position or wrist height.

Technique is for the service of music.

And as I said, Open C and Closed C were both taught. The former is not a false finger of the latter.

The only time it matters is if your chanter doesnít play well.

Geez. Relax.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:28 PM   #16
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hmmm......

Play that regular... old.... fusty... "C"... with the little finger... down.

Then... raise... that little finger.

Perchance... you will hear... a difference... in the sound...

Old 05-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #17
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

I would aim for the one (closed C) and not sweat the other (open C), unless you're in a band where the PM is going to rap your knuckles for "false fingering".

I remember hearing my PM tell me (when I was in a band, and also competing solo -- years ago) that judges looked for open C's as a form of false fingering -- whether they still do so is beyond my pay grade, as I no longer compete.

I've played both on purpose to hear the difference -- on my chanters there is a slight change in timbre or tone. Hardly detectable. I play closed C's, but then I don't play fast comp tunes.

As for the OP's predicament, perhaps his PM has all the answer he needs.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:37 AM   #18
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoidboy View Post
I donít ever remember people going bananas over piano or violin fingering. I donít remember hearing people arguing over thumb position or wrist height

I suggest you have a leaf through a copy of Simon Fischer's book Basics. We pipers could learn a great deal from it, if we cared to listen.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:14 AM   #19
thevoidboy
Forum Member

Why?

Old 05-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #20
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevoidboy

Why?

Ah... well... it is... an exceptionally...fine work!! :)

And... with a great deal... to recommend it!!

Last edited by Pip01; 05-11-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote