Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-15-2017, 04:12 AM   #1
erteple
Forum Member

Default My 2/4 marches - evaluation?

Hello,

I hope it is not too much to ask, but I'd like to hear Your opinions on me playing The Barren Rocks of Aden, Captain Norman Orr Ewing ad Farewell to Nigg. I uploaded this video of me playing these and marked some weak spots. I am aware of them and trying to get rid of them, but I'd like You to tell me Your overall opinion, mark errors You hear and in case You have some more tips, I'll be more than happy. Comment under the video or here. Thank You in advance.

Code:
https://youtu.be/DREbBBUAYpw
FYI: I never wanted to compete, but recently I've changed my mind. I intend to use one of these tunes to my first competition in August (grade 4, but no exact rules / requests given), so there's still plenty of time. Unfortunately, I am posted in Indian subcontinent for a long time now, so I won't be able to have a teacher for this event. Thus, I'll have to record and work hard.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
3D Piper
Forum Clasp

Default Re: My 2/4 marches - evaluation?

For grade 4 you have some crisp fingers, but you've got to get those drones in tune..!

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
John McCain
Holy smoking keyboard!

You do many things very well.

But, for your audience, whether it's a judge or listeners you want to entertain, you should have a set in tune (like Matthew mentioned above) including the notes on the chanter. Also, I suggest you work on steady blowing - building a cheap manometer is a excellent way to improve.

Thanks for posting - I commend you for it.

"What we play is life." - Louis Armstrong
John McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erteple View Post

in August (grade 4, but no exact rules given). .

Sounds a bit dodgy...no rules. If you can...Find out who is/ are the adjudicators for the piping events. If the games committee is ' importing' competent judges from UK or elsewhere ...OK . But, if the winners will be determined by who has the prettiest kilt according to the local mayor's wife or girlfriend...ffft.

The 'rules' should at least be according to RSPBA. ..Unless there is an established local PBA organization. At least then everyone would be required to play the appropriate music.....And competitors would be grouped accordingly by grades.

In usual manner...competent judges would then award based on performance...not whim.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Aside from everything already posted (your drones were relatively in tune with each other but far sharp of the chanter) just make sure you get the low-g's into the throws. A few of them were a little to whiffy to sound like throws.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Is your competition 2/4 marches (as in your title)? Or is it any time signature? Farewell to Nigg is a 3/4 march. In any event, all the best.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I think a smaller bag and an adjustable blowstick to get a suitable length for you would help a lot. Your blowing is not quite steady but I think that's more due to bag fit than poor technique.

Definitely learn how to tune drones - not just for the sake of it, but it will improve your ears and your blowing.

Other than that, in terms of problems, you're picking out small details just fine; what I'd like to see is more "fluency" - for which I recommend as much listening as you can - try this spotify playlist: https://play.spotify.com/user/tomver...1Ki6mlmPbRn9MK and spending time singing your tunes to yourself. Well expressed bagpipe music takes a great deal from how you would sing the same tune.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
erteple
Forum Member

Thank You all so much with such a valuable replies! I will start with the tuning - that is what teachers are for, but due to my current place I won't be able to use any help (same for bag). Heh, tuning and steady blowing - I expected far worse comments regarding grips, thows, but this is something really new for me - and that's why I published that video. Expression will be also difficult to handle.

Just to clarify, the weather changes here are difficult to handle and even though I could hear that something sounds probably different, I never knew what, so I suspected I'm just used to sound of 2 drones, not 3...

Regarding the competition itself, there are not many of them in central/eastern Europe, so the rules are very open (compared to more bagpipe-connected parts of the world), the march category is not divided into 2/4, 4/4 etc (But I somehow thought all of them are 2/4). And that is also why I'll take part in August - that is the only venue in my region!

Cheers to all,

Erteple
Old 02-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks, Erteple, for the clarification. As for tuning, yes many instructors do tune their students' drones prior to competition; yet that can be a sort of crutch, too. As you pointed out, there comes a time when you're on your own. So I feel it's part of instruction to also get the student to learn, early on, how to tune. As you may already be aware, there are a lot of lessons online, just in case you're lacking personal instruction, right now. Again, all the best; and I hope that you find competing to be instructive and positive for your progression. Cheers, Michael
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote