Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other Topics > Forum Related
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Related Related to Forum software; questions, suggestions, ideas ...

Platinum Sponsors
View Poll Results: Should there be listing of highland supply shops on the forum?
Yes, I think it could be a benefit for consumers/businesses. 9 56.25%
Yes, but there needs to be strict oversight on what/how information is handled. 7 43.75%
Maybe, but not in the manner which is being proposed. 0 0%
No, I think it would not be beneficial. 1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Default List of pipe supplies stores, etc

Hi all,

I've been searching for a bunch of pipe books recently (many of which I've found, some I have not) ... which has made it necessary for me to seek out many various suppliers from all over.

In doing so, it's become quite evident that many suppliers simply aren't around anymore, but their websites are still going. It makes it really difficult to search and shop with any degree of confidence.

I'm wondering if there's an acceptable (according to the forum rules) manner of maybe posting/maintaining a running list of store/suppliers on this forum, so that maybe we, as a community, can help each other in finding what we need from the various online suppliers out there?

I'm envisioning a running list, which includes a location for the business, and maybe a status (e.g. operating as of MM.DD.YYYY, "not in operation as of MM.DD.YYYY")? My hope would be that both consumers and businesses could benefit from having a constantly evolving and updated list.

My only worry might be that if erroneous information were to ever be posted (whether malicious or accidental), such a listing could inadvertently become damaging to those listed (e.g. a business being mentioned as "not operating" if/when the opposite is actually true). In order to avoid such issues, maybe a volunteer or two (I would readily volunteer for such a task) might need to be involved in periodic fact-checks, or posting approvals in order to avoid the aforementioned concerns?

I've been compiling a list for myself, to help me keep track of who is actually operating, and who actually is not ... so I can see where this could be helpful information for others, but as mentioned above, I would want this to be a benefit for everyone, not the contrary.

Any thoughts? If such a thing could exist on the forum, where/how should it be? Basically, this is just something that I recognize would have been quite helpful for me, as I attempted to search for what I've been looking for, so I thought I'd offer a suggestion based on that experience.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers!
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: List of pipe supplies stores, etc

Have you seen this page:
http://www.bobdunsire.com/bagpipeweb/?

I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't. This is only the 3rd time I've gone there, and I see the Reedmakers sub-page (as an example) hasn't been updated for quite a while.

I applaud your initiative on this. There seem to be posts coming up every so often asking about the current status of Kintail (which no longer operates but whose website is still up), and others saying they put in orders and sent money along to XYZ and not getting any replies (or their $) back. So, what you suggests may indeed help.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
Have you seen this page:
http://www.bobdunsire.com/bagpipeweb/ ...
I haven't, so thank you. I've just been poking through there, and yes, rather out-dated.

Thanks for the kind words, you seem to grasp my intentions quite well. Indeed, the above mentioned page starts upon what I was thinking, but with this ever-changing world we live-in, I-for-one would relish having a place where folks can help keep each other informed on what's out there, and what isn't.

I've literally bought a book or two from a good twenty different retailers over the last few months, and there have been many failed attempts at purchases during this time. Some retailers I eventually had to give up on, whereas others, just as I thought they were defunct, a few minutes later I'd get a phone call, and a few days later, my parcel would arrive.

Cheers!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:34 PM   #4
Andrew Lenz

Ken MacKenzie (moderator here) maintains the BDF Web Directory now. If you find something outdated, drop him a note at the email address on the page. He doesn't have the time or energy to proactively check the links himself—granted, there is software out there that can do it. It might take a while before he does the update, but it should happen.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:13 AM   #5
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
Ken MacKenzie (moderator here) maintains the BDF Web Directory now. If you find something outdated, drop him a note at the email address on the page. He doesn't have the time or energy to proactively check the links himself—granted, there is software out there that can do it. It might take a while before he does the update, but it should happen.

Andrew
Right on, thank you Andrew. Most of my info has been directed toward searching for pipe books, but I've definitely compiled quite a list.

Is this directory advertised anywhere? This is the first I'd heard of it, so even if it WERE up-to-date, it's not of very much use if people don't know it's even there. I'm actually quite astounded I didn't run into it before as I was searching the internet for various books (and still am, for a fair few).

Cheers.