Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #11
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Default Re: Opinion on '90s(?) Hardies?

Thanks for the advice all! I took a look at them this afternoon and decided to pass. They were about what I expected - nothing real exciting. Definitely Hardies, definitely a later set. Not in awful shape, but a bit beat up. I did end up walking away with the "80s stuff" in the case - a Logan's Tutor cassette tape with John MacLellan, and a pamphlet from the Scottish Shopper in Seattle called "The Piper's Manual: Things You Should Know About Your Bagpipe."
Old 11-30-2018, 06:30 AM   #12
Greenpipe
Forum Clasp

I had a set of early '90s Hardies. The bass drone was almost impossible to reed, and was susceptible to motorboating. Of course the reed choices were cane and then then the first synthetic reed - forget the name. I got rid of them.
Another chap in the band had a similar set and similar problems.
Greenpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #13
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpipe

Of course the reed choices were cane and then then

the first synthetic reed - forget the name.

Most probably Wygent... Mark was the first name... and
he had his then legally un-protected design stolen from
him... :(

But his synthie reeds... were just bloody marvelous!! :)

Last edited by Pip01; 11-30-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #14
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

I have some Wygents. They were OK reeds, but the bodies would swell from moisture and still cut off after a while. I prefer all plastic for that reason.

RE: the Hardies: the Hardie chanter itself might have been worth $150-200 depending on its condition. I've seen them for sale for that much online.

They have a decent rep for solo chanters, for those who prefer the 466 pitch.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #15
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpipe View Post
I had a set of early '90s Hardies. The bass drone was almost impossible to reed, and was susceptible to motorboating. Of course the reed choices were cane and then then the first synthetic reed - forget the name. I got rid of them.
Another chap in the band had a similar set and similar problems.

First , as I recall, there were the Ross Champions which had plastic bodies and plastic-impregnated cane tongues, then came the first Shepherd synthetic reeds, and then the Wygents which were marvelous, except when wet.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #16
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

I've had a set of that vintage from new and ever had a problem reeding - the only remarks I've ever had on the drones is how steady they are.
After much experimentation, I found that a set of Crozier glass fibre reeds really gave the drones more presence and a nice sound, so I've stuck with those.
If the price and condition are right, I'd say go for it.
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #17
Mainebagpipes
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
I've had a set of that vintage from new and ever had a problem reeding - the only remarks I've ever had on the drones is how steady they are.
After much experimentation, I found that a set of Crozier glass fibre reeds really gave the drones more presence and a nice sound, so I've stuck with those.
If the price and condition are right, I'd say go for it.
Good to know about the Crozier glass reeds. I remember those being fairly aggressive, and I could see them working well in a narrower-bore set of pipes. Unfortunately, I don't think they're in production anymore (at least, I haven't seen a set for sale for some time).

Right now he's shopping the pipes around to family and friends. If there aren't any takers, they're probably either coming back my way or are off to Goodwill.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #18
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

If they’re in good condition, I would go for them.

You might have someone nearby who does small time pipe making who could, if needed, bore out the drones a bit. The PM of our G2 band did that with someone’s older Hardies and they had a fantastic sound afterward.

If nothing else, they can be loaner/beater pipes for those performances where you don’t wa the to bring out your nice pipes.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #19
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fogelman View Post
If they’re in good condition, I would go for them.

You might have someone nearby who does small time pipe making who could, if needed, bore out the drones a bit. The PM of our G2 band did that with someone’s older Hardies and they had a fantastic sound afterward.
There are several good pipe makers in Maine: Nate Banton, Chris Pinchbeck, Mike Dow, Bruce Childress… the Gibson shop is in NH and Michael MacHarg is in So. Royalton, VT ( I know I'm forgetting some.)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #20
Jim Fogelman
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
There are several good pipe makers in Maine: Nate Banton, Chris Pinchbeck, Mike Dow, Bruce Childress… the Gibson shop is in NH and Michael MacHarg is in So. Royalton, VT ( I know I'm forgetting some.)
Then all the more reason! Buy the pipes, assess what you do/don't like about them. Send them off to a pipemaker to improve them if necessary.

You could be looking at an output of $400-600 (depending on how much they charge for what work needs to be done) for a new to you set of pipes.